Esteemed Contributor

Re: Ever make Georgia Cornbread?? It has no cornmeal in it, just had some for the first time......

This looks SO simple to make, which is why I'm tempted to try making it. I'd like to half all the ingredients and give it a try, maybe in an 8"x8" pan. That should work ok, shouldn't it?

Edited to add - I tried it, and it's really good. The best part to me is how quick it came together. Very little effort.

Honored Contributor

Re: Ever make Georgia Cornbread?? It has no cornmeal in it, just had some for the first time......

On 1/15/2015 chickenbutt said:

Interesting. I don't understand the name either. Seems more like some sort of cake. Furthermore, that's a LOT of sugar!

I do (ducking from Sooner) put a little bit of sugar in my actual cornbread, but it's like 1/4c or something like that. Must have cornmeal for it to be cornbread, methinks. Smiley Happy

{#emotions_dlg.blush} OH my goodness grief! And do you eat this unspeakable mess with Chili with BEANS in it? {#emotions_dlg.crying}

You know grits with sugar is called Georgia Ice Cream. That one I sort of understand. . . {#emotions_dlg.unsure}

Honored Contributor

On 1/15/2015 Sooner said:

Interesting. I don't understand the name either. Seems more like some sort of cake. Furthermore, that's a LOT of sugar!

I do (ducking from Sooner) put a little bit of sugar in my actual cornbread, but it's like 1/4c or something like that. Must have cornmeal for it to be cornbread, methinks. Smiley Happy

{#emotions_dlg.blush} OH my goodness grief! And do you eat this unspeakable mess with Chili with BEANS in it? {#emotions_dlg.crying}

You know grits with sugar is called Georgia Ice Cream. That one I sort of understand. . . {#emotions_dlg.unsure}

{#emotions_dlg.blushing} Yeah, sometimes. My beef chili has beans and my turkey chili has three different kinds of beans. I know - bad little chicky. I think there's just a smidge of sugar in that, too. That doesn't make the dish sweet, of course, but it tends to neutralize the acridity of the tomato products. Smiley Happy

I don't do the grits, but I'm fixin' to make some Cream of Wheat for lunch. yum! I had to expand my liquid diet because I was getting tired of soup and Frostys.

{#emotions_dlg.wub}

Super Contributor

{#emotions_dlg.blushing} Yeah, sometimes. My beef chili has beans and my turkey chili has three different kinds of beans. I know - bad little chicky. I think there's just a smidge of sugar in that, too. That doesn't make the dish sweet, of course, but it tends to neutralize the acridity of the tomato products. Smiley Happy

I don't do the grits, but I'm fixin' to make some Cream of Wheat for lunch. yum! I had to expand my liquid diet because I was getting tired of soup and Frostys.

{#emotions_dlg.wub}

You all have me so confused. The actual recipe as posted is not cornbread at all, so what's going on?

Honored Contributor

{#emotions_dlg.wub}

CHICKENBUTT! I am glad to hear you understand the proper use of the word "fixin!" It does make up for some of the dubious goings-on with cornbread!!! I hope things are coming along well enough for you to be off the liquid diet SOON!

Respected Contributor

I was born in Georgia and spent a total of 36 years there. Never heard of this recipe and the only corn bread I ever had was truly cornbread. i think it's a poor choice of names, but it does sound tasty.

Honored Contributor

{#emotions_dlg.wub}

CHICKENBUTT! I am glad to hear you understand the proper use of the word "fixin!" It does make up for some of the dubious goings-on with cornbread!!! I hope things are coming along well enough for you to be off the liquid diet SOON!

Haha - 'course I do! Smiley Happy My mother was from your state and my father another state in the region so, although I'm a California girl, I'm familiar. Actually, my cooking style is a combination of a little bit of Southern and a fair amount Italian. That's kind of weird because I'm not Italian, but I guess it appeals to me like Southwestern appeals to New York boy Bobby Flay. Smiley Happy

But, hey - IIRC you put cottage cheese in the lasagne so I guess we're even. {#emotions_dlg.devil2}