Honored Contributor

Re: Ever Had Those Issues that Cause "OH NO!!!"

@ECBG 

looks so good mine was so 🤮🤮🤮 that I was disgusted and didn't even take pic this year.  

Normally, no matter what brand I buy (normally Butterball or fresh)

it always "smells"  like turkey all day while prepping & cookng.  This was a Publix brand which had "no taste tough" as far as I'm concerned.  I felt it was frozen to long but said sell by 2/01/2022.

Although, my smell & taste are gone spouse was "kind" and said "put more gravy maybe that's what it needs🤔"...nope it was just terrible.

It was only 12 lbs and even my stuffing which is usually superb was 🤮...

thank you for sharing but now I'm wishing for a good leftover turkey sandwich w/trimmings ...thanks🙂🙂🙂🙂🦃🦃🦃

(If I see any Butterballs at store tomorrow I'll buy one and try again😉)

Honored Contributor

@godi wrote:

God bless @ECBG  you sure got a whopper of a turkey day! ❤️🦃🙏

@godi 

Thank you!  DS got enough turkey, so I have what I want (plenty of leftover here!)!Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@lynnie61   I think we've had the garbage disposal incident at every house my family has had dinner for the holidays.  We finally learned out lesson and all stopped putting potato skins or egg shells down the drain.

Fun memories!

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 

One poster here did "my" turkey and was very pleased.  

If I may suggest,  wait a few months and try this:

Rinse turkey and put in baking bag prepared by shaking 

1 tsp. flour in it.

Mix 3 heaping Tbsp each of poultry seasoning, marjoram and celery seed all over the outside.  Repeat on the inside.

Add stuffing if desired.

Seal bag and cut several slices to vent.

Bake at 325 degrees, NOT 350. For time on bag chart.

Let rest before cutting. 

Trusted Contributor

@CAcableGirl2  And for others that have had their garbage disposal back up.  (haven't we all at one time or another)   My next door neighbor is a plumber.  He said you can put most everything down a disposal but after the garbage has been ground up enough, turn it off but run the water for about 3 minutes to flush everything out.  

Honored Contributor

@Junebug54 wrote:

@CAcableGirl2  And for others that have had their garbage disposal back up.  (haven't we all at one time or another)   My next door neighbor is a plumber.  He said you can put most everything down a disposal but after the garbage has been ground up enough, turn it off but run the water for about 3 minutes to flush everything out.  

@Junebug54 @CAcableGirl2 

I'm going to give both of you a laugh!

When our new DILove was helping me cook (she really couldn't cook and knew I had taught future chefs and was nervous), she peeled the carrots for me, put them in the disposal and turned it on.  NO WATER.

Of course the blade turned below the carrot peels but nothing happened.

Then she tried to get them through with water and of course backed everything up!  Dinner was after the plumbing under the sink was taken apart!!!!!!

Trusted Contributor

@godi wrote:

I put my pies on a cookie sheet one year and the sheet buckled causing all the contents of pie to fly all over the stove. What a nightmare. The pumpkin filling was everywhere. I had to wait for stove to cool and scrape it clean. I didn't want to put turkey in oven with that all over. This story not over yet. So, I order two pumpkin pies from bakery that was just open till sold out I got lucky for two pies.  I jump in truck to go get them. On the way home I hit a speed bump at a normal speed but it caused the pies to fly off the seat and explode on impact on the floor. Ok I know your saying why didn't you set them on the floor? It's a work truck, mud, coffee cups, food wrappers you get it right? At this point I pull over and ball my guts out. Dinner turned out fine and for dessert 🍨 ice cream. 

@ECBG  I hope all turn out well! Happy Thanksgiving 🦃 

It's 4 days post Thanksgiving, but I just read your post and am having the best laugh I've had in a long time!  I know it wasn't one bit funny when it was happening to you, but I now award you the trophy for the best turkey day tale!

Honored Contributor

@CJC wrote:

@godi wrote:

I put my pies on a cookie sheet one year and the sheet buckled causing all the contents of pie to fly all over the stove. What a nightmare. The pumpkin filling was everywhere. I had to wait for stove to cool and scrape it clean. I didn't want to put turkey in oven with that all over. This story not over yet. So, I order two pumpkin pies from bakery that was just open till sold out I got lucky for two pies.  I jump in truck to go get them. On the way home I hit a speed bump at a normal speed but it caused the pies to fly off the seat and explode on impact on the floor. Ok I know your saying why didn't you set them on the floor? It's a work truck, mud, coffee cups, food wrappers you get it right? At this point I pull over and ball my guts out. Dinner turned out fine and for dessert 🍨 ice cream. 

@ECBG  I hope all turn out well! Happy Thanksgiving 🦃 

It's 4 days post Thanksgiving, but I just read your post and am having the best laugh I've had in a long time!  I know it wasn't one bit funny when it was happening to you, but I now award you the trophy for the best turkey day tale!

@CJC 

Like the mistakes in weddings, you just laugh.  What is the use of being upset?  Maybe becoming more upset which will get you absolutely nowhere!

Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG 

I'm just getting around to reading your post and I have to add my own little "incident". 

I've always cooked a whole turkey, but this year it was going to be just three of us so I bought a turkey breast for the first time.  Turned out to be a good thing, because half way through, my oven stopped heating and there was a strong burning smell.  It wasn't burned food, but a strong smell of burned rubber or wiring.  The display was still lit, so I knew it wasn't loss of power.   I guess it was a short of some kind.

Anyway, since it was just a breast I was able to move it to a microwave safe container and continue cooking in the microwave.  It was already partly browned on top from the oven, so it really wasn't too bad.  I had planned to bake the oyster dressing in the oven, but it too went into the microwave. 

All in all, things turned out ok and I'm just glad it didn't happen one of those years when I had guests showing up for Thanksgiving dinner.  The repairman comes tomorrow, so I'll find out whether the oven is repairable. 

We just had to replace my beloved Kenmore Elite washer, so I'm really hoping I don't have to start looking for an oven during the pandemic shortages.  I think I already used up all of my luck when I found the Speed Queen washer I wanted and had it installed in just a few days.  I think the appliance gods have it in for me this year!

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett