Trusted Contributor

Re: Erythritol Sweetener Powdered- Confectionery

I have a question about this. I have been trying different artificial sweeteners to make home made ice cream and anything I have tried, other than sugar, has a grainier texture. I wonder how the confectioners version would be? Any ideas? Also, does it measure 1:1 like the other types of sweeteners? Thanks!!

Honored Contributor

@Lisa now in AZ wrote:

I have a question about this. I have been trying different artificial sweeteners to make home made ice cream and anything I have tried, other than sugar, has a grainier texture. I wonder how the confectioners version would be? Any ideas? Also, does it measure 1:1 like the other types of sweeteners? Thanks!!

@Lisa now in AZ Not all alternative sweeteners act the same or measure the same. Stay away from any that are bulked up with maltodextrin.  Monkfruit and Swerve both measure 1:1 for sugar, as does the Allulose baking blend I like.  Some people notice a cooling effect from Swerve.  You can offset that with a very tiny amount of pure stevia, stressing “very tiny amount”.  Too much stevia turns things bitter.  IMO, the powdered versions of Monkfruit and Swerve dissolve and blend better than the granulated form, but I still use granulated for certain things.  If you currently have a granulated form on hand, you can run it through your food processor to make it a powder. 

Trusted Contributor

Thanks, @JeanLouiseFinch. I forgot about that blender trick. And thanks for the other tips, too.