Respected Contributor

Erythritol Sweetener Powdered- Confectionery

[ Edited ]

Erythritol Sweetener Powdered- Confectionery Has anyone ever used this before?

I just made this KETO recipe that was on Pinterest under Joy Filled East. It has 8 ozs cream cheese, 8 ozs of heavy cream and the sweetener. It is made in the USA, gluten free, sugar free, and comes in a bag. Walmart sells it also. I made mine with regular sugar.

It is a dessert. Quick and easy. The recipe is the Keto 5 minute Cheesecake Fluff on the Pinterest App. It is a lot like what used to be on the Adkins diet years ago with the full fat.

I already tasted it and it was delicious. You can top with fresh berries also or whatever you want.

Honored Contributor

Re: Erythritol Sweetener Powdered- Confectionery

I wouldn't get too far from my bathroom after eating this.  Erythritol can cause gastric 'distress'.

Honored Contributor

@MKR14 wrote:

Erythritol Sweetener Powdered- Confectionery Has anyone ever used this before?

I just made this KETO recipe that was on Pinterest under Joy Filled East. It has 8 ozs cream cheese, 8 ozs of heavy cream and the sweetener. It is made in the USA, gluten free, sugar free, and comes in a bag. Walmart sells it also. I made mine with regular sugar.

It is a dessert. Quick and easy. The recipe is the Keto 5 minute Cheesecake Fluff on the Pinterest App. It is a lot like what used to be on the Adkins diet years ago with the full fat.

I already tasted it and it was delicious. You can top with fresh berries also or whatever you want.

@MKR14  My husband and I have been living a keto lifestyle since mid June 2019 and we love it.  We are eating awesome foods, including treats and baked goods n occasion.   I’m just a couple ounces short of a 104# weight loss and I feel terrific!   Just so you know, your altering of the recipe by using sugar de-ketofied it.  Mixing the high carbs of sugar and the high fat from the cream cheese and HWC is a recipe for disaster.  

Throughout our journey I’ve tried an assortment of alternative sweeteners, including Erythritol, but not this specific brand.  I usually get the Swerve brand because it’s easy to find. The powdered form mixes better and can be used easily in any recipe.  I don’t have any digestive distress that some people may get fro Erythritol.  Within the last couple of months I started using the Whole Earth Allulose Baking Blend sweetener and like it a lot.  No tummy issues with that one either.

if you are trying to follow keto, be sure to be a label reader.  You need to avoid added ingredients in you sweeteners, namely maltodextrin, dextrose, and other hidden sugars. 

Respected Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch @Congratulations on your weight loss. That shows your commitment to being healthy.

Thank you for the sweetener suggestions. I use some of the easy Keto recipes but do not need to lose weight. I just try and keep where I am. My daughter will be starting the Keto diet and your suggestion of the sweetener substitute I will pass on. I also have tried to watch what I eat when I put a couple of pounds on due to my pancreas problem. Now I have  been retired the last few years it has been easier not to eat so much.

Be safe and healthy everyone. Happy Sunday!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've been using a blended product made by Pyure. They make a bakeable blend and also a regular sweetener. Both contain stevia blended with either erythritol (regular one) or maltodextrine (a type of bakeable sugar).  The regular Pyure I use tastes like sugar. It is granular just like sugar. 

The thing about erythritol, for me anyway, is that is makes me very thirsty if I use too much...that's why I like it blended. No other problems with it for me.

Pyure is very highly rated, easy to find  and is reasonably priced.

Honored Contributor

Maltodextrin is very bad for you, if you are doing keto. It has a glycemic index that’s higher than granulated sugar. In fact I think it has the highest GI of all ingredients. It will kick you out of ketosis. It’s often found in items labeled as keto, like the garbage from Slim Fast, but in truth it is not keto friendly.
Trusted Contributor

I find the Swerve brand is a good formula and I haven't had any of that distress someone referred to. I use both granulated and powdered forms for baking and don't use a lot. I mean, I don't spoon it over cereal or into coffee, or anything like that, so I don't know the effect of a large quantity. It's pricey, but worth it if you want avoid sugar IMO. Ice never had anyone say they can tell the difference in taste or in the texture of baked things.

Honored Contributor

It sounds like something you shouldn't put in your body.

Trusted Contributor

I love the Swerve brand of confectioner's sweetener, and have had no gastric distress from it.  I don't eat a lot of it at any one time though.  It's great for making cream cheese icing.  

Honored Contributor

Have never found an artificial sweetener that did not mess up my stomach.