Honored Contributor

@Hoovermom wrote:

I saw an advertisement for that big pressure cooker that is also a crockpot, etc.  They used coffee cans to bake their bread in.  Interesting.............

At one time, I used coffee cans to bake in, but today you have to make sure the bottom of the can is metal. Some of the metal cans have cardboard bottoms.

Honored Contributor

I would be afraid to use it as a planter without a drainage hole.  I can see using it for other things though.  I haven't read the whole thread, but I'll bet you could find lots of ideas on Pinterest.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack  You could use a big nail and hammer some holes into the bottom of the can for drainage.  My mother use to do that years  ago when she used the cans to plant tomato seeds and get the plants started indoors.

Back in the days, everything was repurposed.

Contributor

I use an old coffee can to store my toilet brush in under the bathroom sink.  I don't care for it sitting out so it works just fine.  Either metal or plastic is ok but the plastic ones don't rust.  There is no concern for water drops or marks inside the cabinet.

Daisy

Respected Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@Hoovermom wrote:

I saw an advertisement for that big pressure cooker that is also a crockpot, etc.  They used coffee cans to bake their bread in.  Interesting.............

At one time, I used coffee cans to bake in, but today you have to make sure the bottom of the can is metal. Some of the metal cans have cardboard bottoms.

Really? 

Valued Contributor

@Hoovermom wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@Hoovermom wrote:

Really? 

we use our empty coffee "cans" which are all plastic now, as a scrap bin for garbage then throw away when full.  saves from putting smelly garbage in the kitchen garbage can.

Honored Contributor

@Hoovermom wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@Hoovermom wrote:

Really? 

Yes, really.  It’s cardboard covered with aluminum foil.  I think the  brand is Maxwell House, but I am not 100% sure.

Honored Contributor

@Hoovermom - I'm guessing that would be Boston Brown bread done in a coffee can in the crockpot.

The only real coffee cans we can get here are Chock Full O Nuts.  All the others are cardboard cans with metal bottoms.

I now save the 28 oz. tomato cans to make it in.

Honored Contributor

@In-x-s wrote:

@Hoovermom wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@Hoovermom wrote:

Really? 

we use our empty coffee "cans" which are all plastic now, as a scrap bin for garbage then throw away when full.  saves from putting smelly garbage in the kitchen garbage can.

We that too with bones and other stuff that shouldn't go down the garbage disposal.  My sister saves her plastic coffee cans for me.

Honored Contributor

From now on I'm keeping an empty red Folger's can in the freezer for garbage scraps.  I now put garbage in the thick Ziploc bags and freeze them.  But what a waste of bags.  I also like the spare change idea.  I'm a compulsive change saver, thanks to Suze Orman.  I usually haul it to the credit union with the change counter in Lock & Lock, but this would be a great use for the Folgers cans.