Super Contributor

Emeril's Pressure Cooker What Am I Doing Wrong???

This is my second time using it today. For whatever stupid reason I set it on high pressure, punch in the time on the timer and hit start the cooker builds up pressure then it switches straight to the warm feature. It doesn't count down the time that it should be taking for the food to cook. I really hope it's just me becasue I don't want to have to return it. I called TFal but they are closed today. Hopefully you all can help me in my crisis here.

Honored Contributor

Re: Emeril's Pressure Cooker What Am I Doing Wrong???

There were so many similar complaints that I decided not to buy this pressure cooker and stick with our Kuhn-Rikon stovetops.

But one reviewer on Amazon whose cooker went straight to warm said that she checked the "troubleshooter" page in the manual (which, btw, was universally not liked by reviewers) and found something vague about how if you don't have enough liquid in the pot, the cooker decides that it's done and switches to warm.

Check out that possibility.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Super Contributor

Thanks SuzyQ3! I guess that could be it but it's spaghetti sauce so I would think there would be enough since there is a lot of sauce plus the added water....uggh. Yeah, I went online trying to find something along with the troubleshooting page in the manual but no luck.

Respected Contributor

I've owned the Emeril T-Fal PC for awhile (bought from the ""other"" channel) and the one time I had this issue was due to not enough liquid. Sometimes it's just a matter of adding 1/2 cup to make the difference.

Denise
Super Contributor

Thanks denisemb! I'll give it another try later. I ended up throwng it all in a pot and put in on the stove to finish cooking. With it coming up to pressure it at least infused the flavors together so it was still really good. Next time I'll add more liquid. I would hate to have to return it

Trusted Contributor

Two things to check: Do you have the pressure valve in the correct position? If it's not set to pressure, the pressure will never build up.

Next: Make sure you have the gasket in place.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

Super Contributor

Thanks lacey1! I did check the valve several times and it was fine. In the correction position. I kept triple checking myself...lol. The gasket was fine as well. I am hoping that it was just not enough liquid in it. I think I might just put some water in it and see if it will work....hmmmm. That should tell me a lot right there I would think. Going to try it now and I'll report back.

Regular Contributor

I sure hope you don't have to return it. I have that same one that I bought from HSN. I have had no issues at all.

On the other hand, last summer, I caved and bought another one, the Elite brand, because it was an 8qt and Emeril's was 6. I cook a lot of chicken for stock so I went with a larger one. Well, the Elite just died on me this weekend. I may have used it 6 times since August. Very disappointing.

Super Contributor

Oh noooo BooBoo2, I hate that for you. I had the other model of the Cooks Essentauls one and dropped and broke it. This was my replacement for that one. I have the water on now and so far so good but it's not up to pressure yet. Still waiting.

Trusted Contributor

Well? Any luck????