Honored Contributor

Re: Emergency! Refrigerator Recommendations Please!

Refrigerators are one of those things I tend to buy cheap and am willing to replace in a few years time if need be. My curent GE (maybe five years old?) was bought on sale at Home Depot for $399 and still works great. 

If you have a pricier older refigerator that's giving you trouble, there are a number of appliance repair sites that sell the replacement parts and give step by step directions on repairing them. As long as the problem isn't in the coolant lines or compresssor, pretty much anything can be fixed by the homeowner these days. YouTube will also have lots of videos showing how to repair pretty much anything on pretty much any refrigerator. If you can wield a screwdriver, pliers, etc. and follow step by step directions, you can pretty much fix anything that goes wrong. In fact, you can often fix it in lesss time than it takes to wait around for the repair person to show up.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

Whirlpool side-by-side. No problems for 7 years now. Did get a Maytag french door model a few years ago, hated it, had lots of problems. Brought the Whirlpool out of the garage and back into the kitchen, got rid of the french door model. Happy!

Esteemed Contributor

@LibbyLib wrote:

@Sooner I have a hack for ya!

We used one of those white coated wire shelf/baskets that you can hook onto shelves and attached it to the back of the wire freezer drawer with white zip ties. You could use twist ties. Do you know the kind of shelf/basket I'm talking about? It gave us several more inches towards the back and kept things from falling in the back of the freezer. LMK if I can help you figure it out - we love our drawer now!

@LibbyLib  can you post a pic??  Sounds interesting.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Respected Contributor

My Whirlpool side by side turned 23 years old this past June.  Still works like a charm.   

Respected Contributor

They literally do not make them like they used to. The older fridges last 25 yrs or so. Do not expect a new one, even if same maker, to last more than 10 or 15.

Respected Contributor

@LizzieInSRQ wrote:

They literally do not make them like they used to. The older fridges last 25 yrs or so. Do not expect a new one, even if same maker, to last more than 10 or 15.

Exactly!  A 25 year old Whirlpool and a new Whirlpool are 2 completely different appliances. 

Modern are made to last 8-10 years as an appliance executive told me.  The average length of time people are in homes now a days are 8-10 years and when they move they want new.

The other issue is younger shoppers are accustom to buying new things for the latest bells and whistles.  When you think todays 20-30 something year olds will buy a new $800 phone every 16 months it stands to reason.

Respected Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

No Way - SamSung (sp) or LG

Yes GE or perhaps Whirlpool (if they make refrigerators)?

I have had a Samsung, never a problem.  I had it for 9 years and the only reason I got rid of it was that I was switching to stainless steel.  To replace it, I bought a french door LG and I love it.  I bought all LG appliances except for the dishwasher which is a Kitchenaid.  The kitchenaid is proving to be a problem.

I would highly recommend LG!

The one I would definitely stay from is GE.  Terrible appliances.

Respected Contributor

I  would also highly recommend an LG..Mine is 11 years old and never given me a lick of trouble...

Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

@LibbyLib wrote:

@Sooner I have a hack for ya!

We used one of those white coated wire shelf/baskets that you can hook onto shelves and attached it to the back of the wire freezer drawer with white zip ties. You could use twist ties. Do you know the kind of shelf/basket I'm talking about? It gave us several more inches towards the back and kept things from falling in the back of the freezer. LMK if I can help you figure it out - we love our drawer now!

@LibbyLib  can you post a pic??  Sounds interesting.

@tends2dogs  Eternity:  2 people and a ham. . . 

Esteemed Contributor

I have a Whirlpool side-by-side - like it - and furbaby likes to peek inside, tooWoman LOL!  Had a Kenmore bottom freezer which bit the dust within five yearWoman Tongues; before that had a GE side-by-side whuch was a problem from the getgoWoman Frustrated.