Honored Contributor

Since this is the start of a new year, I want to sharpen skills I do have to reduce fat in the meals I like.

I've tried to see what Food Network is offering as far as chef's go, with this plan in mind. I really don't know about Ellie Krieger, and wondered if someone here uses her recipes/books and how much you like them.

I've just put some of her books on a hold at the library so I can see what I think.

Would appreciate your input.

Thanks.

Super Contributor

She used to have a show on the Food Network quite a few years ago. Haven't heard anything about her since the show was cancelled. As I recall, like what you said, her recipes were more about cutting out fat, and adding nuts and grains.

Honored Contributor

OK, and then how about Melissa d'Arabian. I watched one show of hers, and she has a book for sale on Q, she still has a show it looks like. I liked her. Wonder how many like her too? Or more to the point, how does she help them if she does?

Super Contributor

She was one of the winners of the Food Network 'new stars' contest-program more than several years ago. The meals on her program focus more on making them for $10 a day, or at least they used to. I like her too. But instead of purchasing her cookbook, why don't you look on the Food Network site and go to her recipes, pick out a few to try before you invest in her book. I like the Pioneer Woman, Ree Drummond. Good, down to earth, home cooking. That's how I was raised.

Honored Contributor

Ellie Kreiger's food was rather bland. It focused more on the health end than the flavorful end of things.

Honored Contributor

I have all 4 (I think!) of Ellie's cookbooks. I like them. She focuses on smaller meals, which I like and has a lot of options for breakfast and lunch (which I also like since most people focus on dinner entrees).

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor
Kellie Krieger is a bona fide Registered Dietician- not a cook, not a chef, but an R.D. who understands how the body functions in sickness and in health and who works with clinicians in clinical settings. I would take her advice over a "nutritionist" but you can decide for yourself. Parameters of health and what we should be eating are always subject to change, but I would say she can be trusted. Her knowledge of food , physiology and pathophysiology is on par with most endocrinologist- that's the difference. She has academic degrees behind her. It can't hurt to check out some of her books and take it from there. Poodlepet2
Honored Contributor
On 1/5/2015 WSfan said:

She was one of the winners of the Food Network 'new stars' contest-program more than several years ago. The meals on her program focus more on making them for $10 a day, or at least they used to. I like her too. But instead of purchasing her cookbook, why don't you look on the Food Network site and go to her recipes, pick out a few to try before you invest in her book. I like the Pioneer Woman, Ree Drummond. Good, down to earth, home cooking. That's how I was raised.

Yes, I can pickup 3 of her cookbooks from the library now. I do that now for the most part before I order any. Seems to be I lean towards the same type of meals so that works out best and I do go to the Food Network site and get some of those recipes first. Thanks for the comments. Appreciate it! I have the first two of PW's books. I have 2 of Ina's and 2 of the country singer married to Garth. I like reading cookbooks, LOL

Honored Contributor

Yes she was on the tv when the Food Network was about food. It was before it because the Cheese, Bacon, Butter and Stupid Contests Network.

Honored Contributor

That name rang a bell. Yup, we have her "Food You Crave." It's actually an excellent cookbook. We've made several dishes that we liked.

This is more our cup of tea than the ooey-gooey style of cooking and is just as comforting.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland