Honored Contributor

Electric, I'm left handed so it's kind of hard to use a manual one.

When I'm done I wash the blade, wrap the cord and stick it in the cabinet.

Esteemed Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

I have several. The old fashioned one & a couple I bought from QVC. My favorite,the one I use most often is a battery operated one. I hook it on the can & push a button & viola. It spins around the can & stops when it's done. I then push the button  again & the opener releases from the can with the lid magnetically attached.It's fast & easy. 

Best invention since sliced bread!  Love mine!

Respected Contributor

@HLP wrote:

@Nonametoday wrote:

How many of you prefer an electric can opener over the Kuhn Rikon?  Or do you use both? Or neither?

I have a Hamiltom Beach ,  I believe from Amazon. It uncoils the lid, does not cut it. It's electric, didn't cost a lot, and is probably 9 inches high and base is propably 5 inches. Doesn't take up a lot of room, works great and I love it. Best can opener I ever had.

I have the kuhn rikon ones sold here ,but it hurts my wrists to use very much. I thought I would try the Hamilton Beach one that I saw on Amazon. I found it cheapest at the time at Walmart. I had to ask a clerk to help me find it as they did not have any other brand. He said he had one and it was great. I purchased it and am in agreement with him. I only use the othernow if I have extra large cans.

Honored Contributor

My mother always used one.  I have never owned one; they seem sort of ridiculous to me unless you have a physical reason why you can't open a can.  I actually thought they were one of those appliances that basically "went away"; kind of like the electric knife.

Esteemed Contributor

I've used only the Kuhn Rikon manual openers since I first discovered them 11 years ago—and I even use them in the standard way on pop-top cans since the sharp edges on those lids are absolutely awful. I love the clean, safe opening the Kuhn Rikon opener offers, and it doesn't take up valuable counter space.

Esteemed Contributor

Just an old fashioned one here.  Only use it a couple of times a year so not an issue.

Esteemed Contributor

I purchased my first Kuhn Rikon can opener when The Q first launched them, and have never looked back! Electric can openers became a distant memory in my household.😁

I have had to replace one, and although the quality is not quite the same, it remains a work house in my kitchen that I will not be without.😊

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Honored Contributor

@shaggygirl wrote:

@HLP wrote:

@Nonametoday wrote:

How many of you prefer an electric can opener over the Kuhn Rikon?  Or do you use both? Or neither?

I have a Hamiltom Beach ,  I believe from Amazon. It uncoils the lid, does not cut it. It's electric, didn't cost a lot, and is probably 9 inches high and base is propably 5 inches. Doesn't take up a lot of room, works great and I love it. Best can opener I ever had.

@HLP 

Sounds like the same one that arrived at my house from Amazon on Friday. It's the exact same model I needed to replace. Have loved it so much for many years is why I got that one again. Biggest plus feature for me is no  jagged lid. 

I prefer the Kuhn Rikon because I don't like having a can opener on my counter.  I do have arthritis, which makes large cans hard to open.  

I looked for electric can openers recently on Amazon and Target.  I wanted one that doesn't leave jagged edges on the lids.  All of the ones that I saw said that there tiny metal pieces from the lid dropped in the can.  I didn't order one.

@HLP   @shaggygirl   Do you have that problem with your Hamilton Beach?  I'm sure I looked at that one, too.

I probably won't buy one because of having to leave it on the counter though.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@HLP wrote:

@shaggygirl wrote:

Speaking of can openers....a lot of canned items now come with the ring to pull the lid off, like soda cans have. But geez louise some of them are buggers to pull off...if you can even get them started. Occasionally I've even had rings come right off on my finger rendering them useless. Some I just give up and head for the can opener. 

I bought a series of things from QVC years ago, it had a hook type thing you put on the ring and pull back and it took the lid off, also a gadget that unsrewed the caps off. Both were black plastic covered, I use both of these often. I have arthritis and these two are life savers . Wish they'd bring this back. I'm pretty sure the man who brings the gadgets had them. Any one remember these?

@HLP   I have both of those, too.  Amazon has them now.  Kuhn Rikon Strain Free Gripper Opener For Jars is how it's listed.  I'm pretty sure they have the can opener, too.  That jar opener is wonderful.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@Zhills wrote:

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

I have several. The old fashioned one & a couple I bought from QVC. My favorite,the one I use most often is a battery operated one. I hook it on the can & push a button & viola. It spins around the can & stops when it's done. I then push the button  again & the opener releases from the can with the lid magnetically attached.It's fast & easy. 

Best invention since sliced bread!  Love mine!

@Zhills   @NicksmomESQ   What brand do you all have?  I read about those on Amazon the other day and would have ordered one if not for the bad reviews.  

-Henry David Thoreau