Respected Contributor

Re: Electric Skillet, When't the last time you used?

I bought a huge oblong Presto skillet years ago and used it quite a bit...at first.  Now it's being ignored on the bottom shelf of my Origami island cart.

May have to break it out as my Walmart Marketplace substituted raw bacon for the Canadian bacon on the last order.

Denise
Valued Contributor

We have a Presto one we got for about $30 several years ago.  I have a love/hate relationship with my glass cooktop so it works well for me for many things I want to put on to simmer for awhile and not have to worry about it burning (like it would on my glasstop stove).

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

used two during the holidays.

i also use them whenever i have extra company OR when i dont want to mess up the stove.

one has a storage bag and the other i put in a clear lawn and leaf bag for easy identification. they are both store on a shelf in the garage.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I don't even own one.  I think I had one a million years ago, but I don't know what happened to it.  I don't think I ever used it.

Honored Contributor

I can't cook fried chicken in a skillet.  It ends up burned on the outside and raw on the inside.  I know, too high heat, but I just never learned how to properly cook it.  I find I can cook perfect fried chicken in a deep fat fryer, but then that's also a hassle to get out, put oil in, and then clean afterwards.  Therefore, fried chicken for me is either takeout or someone else's.  

Speaking of Presto, I have a Presto brand griddle.  Only use it for pancakes and I haven't made those in years either.  Hubby doesn't really care for them that much.  I love pancakes, but for dinner, especially if I'm cooking.  I'm a big fan of breakfast for dinner.  Not so much for hubby.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I have a Sunbeam electric skillet that I have had for years.  I used it last week.  

Respected Contributor

I remember as a kid my mother would liine the electric skillet with tin foil and make peanut brittle.  Wow. memories.

Trusted Contributor

I have a stainless steel round 12 inch model I use pretty regularly. It's 18/10 gauge and pretty substantial, got it for under $60. I moved into the family home to take care of my elderly mother, and we have a smooth electric cooktop which I hate. Mom is afraid of flame so I can't convert it to a gas cooktop. Therefore, I find it easier to use the skillet as well as other small kitchen appliances and the good old regular oven for food prep. I never had an electric skillet until recently, but I'm pleased with it. It's not a non-stick model but pretty easy to clean. I store it in the large drawers underneath the cooktop.

Honored Contributor

My husband found a really nice looking roast at Sam's Club. So he is cooking it tonight in the Leyse Electric Frypan. His Mom used an electric frypan for much of her cooking. So that is how he prepares many of the meals that he cooks.

I have a Cooks Essential frypan in the attic. Have no idea where it is in the attic and never used it.

Esteemed Contributor

I've never ever understood the purpose of having/using one.  I have four burners and several skillets and that's plenty.

My Brother and SIL gave me a cheap one for Christmas 5 or 6 years ago.  I used it a couple of times and then it went to Goodwill.  They got me another one for Christmas this year (I think they forgot about the previous one....LOL).  I didn't have a receipt for it but I took it to Wal-Mart and they took it back.  I'd bet money that's where they got it anyway.  Without a receipt, WM will give you a gift card for the value of the item.  So, they ended up getting me a few groceries for Christmas!

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown