Frequent Contributor
I bought a George foreman last year from Walmart . Very reasonably priced. I don't regret the purchase. Using it on the porch keeps my house cooler and less stinky! I am visually impaired, partially handicapped and afraid of things that might go boom! My DH has dementia and this is something we can handle together.
Respected Contributor

We live in a townhouse development and charcoal or propane grills are not allowed--fire safety codes. An electric grill is ok for me because I don't cook out that much and the electric ones are usually pretty small. The taste isn't as good as a charcoal grill. I have one that has a removable grill which can be washed and it has a nonstick coating but it needs a good scrub to clean. The dishwasher alone is not enough.

I'd say the electric ones are good for the occasional grill user. If your husband is a grilling enthusiast and you entertain and cook for more than 4 people the electric one will probably be inadequate.

Super Contributor

I bought my husband the Masterbuilt electric grill for his birthday. When they presented it they said it was easy clean up. NOT SO ! We made steaks on it the first time we used it and it was a real pain to clean. TOO HEAVY to ship back so we are stuck with it. BUT...GOT SMART and decided on my next try that I would spray the heck out of it with Pam so I sprayed the entire bowl of the grill and the grate and bottom flat metal drip pan. Even lined that round drip pan with foil. That makes it a lot easier to clean up .

As far as the taste....we think the food tastes really good on it and if you want a smoky smell and taste just put some liquid smoke on the steak or burger you are cooking.

We have a gas grill but due to physical limitations we thought we would try the electric grill.

Not the best solution but its better than nothing.

Honored Contributor

Pam used to make a spray just for grills. Not sure if they still make it. I have a table top electric grill from Costco. I haven't used it in a while, but it always was a pain to clean.

Esteemed Contributor

I prefer charcoal, but we are on fire restrictions a lot & can't use it most of the summer. So, I got an electric one. Don't like it at all, the meat doesn't taste like grilled.

Honored Contributor

I've used a couple of them and don't think they do the job. They don't seem to get hot enough. The first side of the meat gets the grill marks/browning but when you turn them over, I never get the same results. Always a sick looking taupey grey color. The moisture gathers and the meat boils instead of sears. Veggies are ok but not for meat. Will stick to my gas grill.

Frequent Contributor

bkgirl, I am finally getting back about the electric grill I ordered. I took nearly 6 weeks to come in, that's why it has taken me so long to get back with you. It is the Char Broil Patio Bistro Infrared. I LOVE it! Years ago I made the transition from charcoal to gas and now from gas to electric and I am glad I did! I have tried other electric grills (Georga Foreman & Chris Freytag and a few others) and did not like them at all. This one I love, love, love!!! The food tastes wonderful and it is so user friendly! I cannot say enough good things about it!

Honored Contributor
On 6/2/2014 Katey1261 said:

Char-Broil TRU-Infrared Electric Patio Bistro at Bed Bath and Beyond $179.00's. Shucks I bought mine at QVC.

I'm seeing more and more ""TV"" items at local stores or Amazon and usually cheaper.

Honored Contributor

We bought this one for my dad last year. He has a small apartment deck.. no room for error with actual flames. It works nicely for simple things. I tried to make a London Broil on it and it didn't seem to get hot enough to really cook it correctly. If it's convenient for you and you can't have gas or charcoal, it's definitely worth buying.

~ house cat ~
Frequent Contributor

recently I saw this on the Walmart site for $144, I haven't checked to see if it's still there. It's also on ebay for around $150. When I preheated mine, it went to 600 degrees or better (the markings stop at 550). It does lose a lot of the heat when you open the lid, but it recovers pretty fast. I also use one of those grill mats (this makes cleanup easy). I can't get over the grilled flavor of the food! I could not tell the difference between this electric and my gas grill.