Respected Contributor

I just ordered a bottle of elderberry syrup after reading good reviews at Amazon.  People add it to plain and soda water, wine, and mixed drinks for a "refreshing flavor".  The D'arbo brand has good reviews unlike the brand that usually makes excellent syrups for lattes, Monin.

One reviewer said he didn't think it would mix well with coffee but he tossed a dash in his beer.  LOL 

I didn't know this was a popular flavor in Europe and has migrated to the U.S, and it isn't uncommon for people to make their own syrup with the flowers.

Honored Contributor

I use it during cold snd flu season for immunity.

Honored Contributor

You've been able to find Elderberry products incuding syrup at specialty stores at Yellowstone and Mt Rushmore for years, but am happy to hear that it has become more maintream.... Woman Happy   

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

Interesting about the immune factor.  I had to look it up to learn there are two kinds of elderberry plants, basically red and black -- black being from Europe, red being native to America.  Without reading in detail, the gist of it is that the black elderberry has the immunity health qualities lacking in the red.  

Thanks for that bit of info @dex.  

Respected Contributor

Elderberry jelly is the absolute best!  I'm lucky to have a friend with a huge one and for mother's day last year I purchased one for myself, but my son planted it in his yard because they have far more room.  I go pick berries the end of Aug and make as much juice and jelly as I can.