Honored Contributor

I have limited myself to one market since this all started.  Egg prices are going crazy, up to 4.99 a dozen.  I did pick up the "sale" eggs of the week for 2.69.  Then on the radio I heard they have to re-grade eggs that were set aside for restaurant and school use before shipping them to retail outlets.  Really confused, who gets the best eggs?  One would think they would all be the same.  Anyone know what's going on?

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Egg prices in my area are $1.49 for a dozen of large. I read something about an impending shortage, but I don't know if it's true. 

Honored Contributor

I bought a dozen large eggs at Publix yesterday, they were $2.60, so no crazy egg prices in my area.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

I don't know about eggs; I picked up another dozen the last time sales were in effect: $1.88. I did not pick up all the fresh fruit that was on my list this morning, though. Too high. 

I need to carefully preserve the resources I have on hand. Going to the market to get "wants" will be prohibitively expensive- another good reason to remain at home unless absolutely necessary.

High food prices will just add to the pain of those without an income. I pray the situation will be short lived going forward.

Honored Contributor

That's about par around here depending on the eggs you get.  I try to get free-range or pastured eggs and buy eggs weekly since hubby eats them every day.  The best price I have seen on those eggs is $3.99/dozen and that was long before the crazy buying began.  No change in egg prices here so far.

I'm sure schools are not getting better eggs than the general public.  I haven't noticed eggs being graded on quality, just size.  I have idea how they grade eggs for schools and restaurants. Maybe they get all the small/medium eggs since they get so many.  Don't know that I have ever seen anything but Large and maybe Extra Large in my grocery store.  Most recipes call for Large eggs.

Trusted Contributor

I thought the price of eggs always went up around Easter time.  I could be wrong as I don't pay that close attention to it. but that is something also to consider along with everything else.

Honored Contributor

No change in egg pricers here. I just shopped at my local Meijer store and paid 49 cents for a dozen of large eggs. It's the same of what I've always paid.

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

I hope you don't start a run on eggs.  Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

There is a lot of grading going on in food stuff that the public never knows about.

Familiarize yourself with beef grades and what the different ones look like, and you'll pick up bargains in the meat counter when steaks in the case are higher graded than some of the others but not marked that way.

Grains are priced at market by moisture content, number of weed seeds or foreign matter in that truck load, etc.  And eggs by a lot of factors.  Eggs eat the same, but some have thicker and more viscous whites, better centered yolks, etc.

We LOVE eggs!  We get great prices on them at Natural Grocers, if you have one nearby! 

Respected Contributor

Store brand eggs in my area are $1.89.  More is you buy name brand or organic.  There is a limit of one carton.