Respected Contributor

Re: Eating Tilapia is Worse Than Eating Bacon

I eat 2 slices of bacon per week when I have my favorite breakfast on the weekends. I think I'll be okay.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Trusted Contributor

I do not eat any fish or shellfish, unless I caught it myself in clean water. I have heard the reports about fish farms causing pollution, (waste products). I've heard about overseas shrimp being raised UNDER the chicken cages, as they can eat the feces/wasted chicken feed. Mercury in ocean fish. Sustainable species, etc.

Honored Contributor

Bacon should be its own food group.

Honored Contributor

I do not eat tilapia either but I live in the Pacific Northwest where choices in seafood are plentiful.

I don't eat it everyday but I do love my bacon! I even made maple bacon ice cream last summer and everyone loved it.

Trusted Contributor

everything is bad for you if your eating too much be aware, in 6 months they'll be another study that says they were wrong. enjoy life eat what you want, cant live forever you know! just do it in moderation.

Honored Contributor

After I learned about this a year or so ago, I stopped eating Tilapia.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Respected Contributor

On 1/10/2014 mima said:

I love both tilapia and catfish. Oh well. I'm pretty sure I'm going to die of something.

LOL, all fish are pretty much trash fish, they'll eat almost anything.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Super Contributor

On 1/10/2014 FunkyHulaGirl said:

Both tilapia and cat fish are "bottom feeders" that even in the wild eat nasty stuff. Since most talapia sold in the US comes from fish farms in China, it's raised in unsanitary conditions in heavily polluted water. It seems to have become really popular the last few years; I tried it and didn't care for it.

I first learned of this a few years ago, when my trucker brother was telling me about a truckload of frozen tilapia from China that he was hauling from LA to New Mexico. As a caregiver for my 95 year old mother, who is severely impaired with dementia, I am way more concerned with the QUALITY of my remaining years, than I am with how many years I have left. For this reason, I have chosen to take the many similar reports seriously.
“There are two ways to be rich: One is by acquiring much, and the other is by desiring little.” —Jackie French Koller
Trusted Contributor

On 1/10/2014 Topaz Gem said:

I eat 2 slices of bacon per week when I have my favorite breakfast on the weekends. I think I'll be okay. {#emotions_dlg.sneaky}

So do I , Topaz - but I have my "affairs in order " and have made a will. {#emotions_dlg.laugh}Wink

You'll find my heart at the Rainbow Bridge. Smiley Sad
Respected Contributor

On 1/10/2014 Topaz Gem said:

I eat 2 slices of bacon per week when I have my favorite breakfast on the weekends. I think I'll be okay.

My husband and I do the same. We get our bacon fix by our two slices each on Sunday morning.