Honored Contributor

Re: Easy, tasty unbaked baked potatoes

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

I would wash it, butter it, poke a whole or two in it and stick it in a very hot over for an hour or more to get that fluffy interior and a very crispy skin!  

That's about the only way (and french fries) I like potatoes. 

@Sooner I've never buttered them before baking. We usually lightly oil and kosher salt them before baking. The butter sounds great. Have to try!

@PA Mom-mom I figure butter isn't a bad idea and since you don't use but a teensy bit. . . 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner 

Yum!  I usually use oil on the outside but will definitely try butter next time, sounds delicious and will add flavor to the skins, which we do eat.  

I used to microwave potatoes for a "baked" but gave up and if in a hurry microwave for a minute or two and then bake in small convection oven until done,  but mostly I just bake them all the way as the texture is the best that way.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sorry, but a boiled potato will not taste the same as an oven baked potato. The meat of the baked one is light and fluffy and the skin is crispy - the opposite of a boiled potato. If I want one in a hurry, I'll microwave it, but that's not the same as baked either!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If I'm boiling a potato chances are I'm going to quarter it and then parsley butter it, with or without skin, add salt and pepper, and no thanks to the garlic butter, salt or powder.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

This is what I use. Almost as good as baked but much faster. 

received_273250010834233.jpeg

Respected Contributor

If you have to boil the potato for as long as you would bake it, I personally wouldn't bother, I'd just bake it.  Plus I never cook using a microwave oven so this wouldn't work for me.

I usually bake an Idaho potato at 400d. for about an hour, I rub the outside with olive oil, and sprinkle w/salt n pepper, pierce w/a knife in 3 or 4 spots and throw it in the oven.  About 15-20 minutes after that I wash and pierce a sweet potato and throw that in the oven with the Idaho potato.  I cook the sweet potato on parchment paper and a baking sheet.  So both will be ready about the same time.

I then eat 1/2 the Idaho potato w/ 1/2 of the sweet potato, usually accompanied by a heaping pile up of steamed vegetables - broccoli, yellow squash, zuccinni, peas or whatever I have.  Makes a pretty good meal for a single person.

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Honored Contributor

Have to say that airfryer spuds are the best I've fixed and  eaten. and not as many steps either----

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 My process for a baked potato whether sweet potato or white potato.  Right on

Honored Contributor

@author wrote:

We always called that a boiled potato.  Good, but definitely not the same as a fluffy inside, crispy skin baked potato.

@author 

It is the same if you boil it in the skin and don't boil it until it is overly done and stick it in the microwave or even in your toaster oven to seer it a bit.  It is much better than oven-baked potatoes, IMHO.  I rarely, if ever, eat a baked potato in a restaurant that I enjoy.

Respected Contributor

Hi, I made thes potatoes last night and they are OUTSTANDING!

I have never boiled a whole potato, only boiled chopped up potatoes to make potato salad. I boiled red potatoes with the skins on. 

This is my new way of making potatoes! Thank you, @Nonametoday !