Trusted Contributor

For those that have a dutch oven, what brand do you have and would you recommend? I'm leaning toward a cast iron enamal one and was thinking of getting the Food Network brand at Kohls... then saw some not so good reviews about cracking and issues with the enamal.  I want a good, sturdy one, but really don't want to pay too much (i.e. Le Crueset price).

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Dutch Oven recommendations

@Knit-Chick   I have a Lodge dutch oven.  I love it.  It's a 6 qt. in a pretty blue.  It was around $70.00.

Honored Contributor

@Knit-Chick wrote:

For those that have a dutch oven, what brand do you have and would you recommend? I'm leaning toward a cast iron enamal one and was thinking of getting the Food Network brand at Kohls... then saw some not so good reviews about cracking and issues with the enamal.  I want a good, sturdy one, but really don't want to pay too much (i.e. Le Crueset price).

Have you ever used one?

I thought I wanted one until I started shopping.

They are HEAVY.

I would personally rather have a large covered skillet, usually referred to as a chicken fryer, or an electric skillet.

I have a cast iron skillet but that's all the cast iron I want.   

Trusted Contributor

I bought one from QVC many years ago that is equivalent to LeCreuset.  Made in France.  Doesn't have brand name on it.  Maybe T-Fal?  Maybe made just for QVC?  I'm not sure if they carry it anymore, but I know I bought it for an excellent price and much cheaper than LeCreuset. 

Honored Contributor

@software 

At 67, without the wrist strength and grip strength that I used to have, I re-homed all of my cast iron (Lodge brand) cookware, due to the heavy weight.

IMO though, for all of the years I had, used and loved my Lodge cast iron pieces, they performed beautifully, without the high LC prices.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Trusted Contributor

@Knit-Chick  IF you can, buy a Le Creuset Dutch oven. Mine is probably 25 years old and still going strong and looks great. You can watch a YouTube video from America's Test Kitchen showing the differences between Dutch ovens and the Le Creuset comes out on top. I *think* QVC sells them.  HTH

F/N/A luvstogarden
Esteemed Contributor

Those large oval La Crueset ones are the best thing ever.  After the kids were gone I passed down my huge one and went smaller.

They are great for slow stovetop too.

Honored Contributor

@Mimi 1883 

I also see a lot of Le Creuset cookware at TJMaxx, maybe she could check their online site.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Trusted Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 thank you!

Trusted Contributor

@software wrote:

@Knit-Chick wrote:

Have you ever used one?

I thought I wanted one until I started shopping.

They are HEAVY.

I would personally rather have a large covered skillet, usually referred to as a chicken fryer, or an electric skillet.

I have a cast iron skillet but that's all the cast iron I want.   

Yes, I know how heavy they are.  I want something more sturdy that I can use both on the stovetop and oven.