Occasional Contributor

Durability of Temptations ware?

Several times over the last couple of months, I was hoping to buy Temptations. The first was a bakeware set as a gift, and the second was a dinner set for myself. Each time, I checked the reviews before purchasing and then decided not to buy. The reviews on the bakeware set indicated issues with, literally, falling apart in the oven; the dishes had complaints of serious chipping even with careful handling.

What is the point of having beautiful oven or table ware that has no durability? At the time of the presentations, there is always a comparison with a plain and more expensive piece bought at a local store. Honestly, I would rather pay more money for something that lasts then throw money away on something that doesn't. I have had quality issues with Temptations myself. A few months ago, I purchased a very pretty tureen-style baker with a little knob handle on the lid. The knob fell off. I hand washed it and while taking it out of the sink to dry, it lightly (very lightly) tapped against something else in the sink...bye, bye knob.

I wish something could be changed in the manufacturing process and/or quality control to insure the durability of this very lovely product.

Honored Contributor

Re: Durability of Temptations ware?

You sound sensible...I tried them, they cracked and chipped...I don't care WHAT the pattern looks like - cheap is a waste of money.

I collect old pottery from the 1940s and 50s. I have Harkerware casseroles that are over 60 years old that are more durable than TT.

Honored Contributor

I don't think they are going to up the quality any time soon (read-EVER). They sell too much of this stuff so they will get away with it for as long as possible.

You are probably ok if you really baby it and do NOT put it in an oven or microwave. If you keep it away from heat it should basically be ok.

Also, I've found that Chinese-made stoneware usually chips VERY easily - like if you just barely hit it on a hard surface it will probably chip. That can be problematic because it precludes even the most basic use.

I've never purchased from this line 1) because it's Chinese-made stoneware; and 2) because I find it profoundly unappealing. But I had a co-worker who used to order everything from both major networks and so I saw my fill of it. You can tell, as soon as you see it in person, that it's not even decent quality.

Respected Contributor

I have had my large set for almost two years now and never had any problems. I love the variety of sizes. I think you have to look at it this way, they sell thousands of sets, and there is only a minority of people that post on the these forums for any product. I don't think they would continue with this line if it was causing issues with their customers across the country. I would say give it a try.

Honored Contributor

Recently when TT had a TSV tara mentioned that they had sold 11 million sets of TT ware since they came to QVC. So - the amount that have had an issue with cracking , crazing , breaking are probably a very small % of the total 11 million sets that have been sold. Obviously, because QVC keeps selling this product, the problem is not universal. It seems limited to the people who come here to complain about it. I have a small amount of TT and I am reasonably careful with it , and none of mine are cracked, crazed or broken despite daily use. i have read things on this BB about people being upset that it broke when placed on the grill outside - or on a burner on the stove, I also think that many women don't use the wire racks - i think if you are setting a hot ceramic dish on a cold granite counter top - hello - it is going to crack! She gives those wire racks for a reason.
Honored Contributor

On 1/26/2014 luvpoos said:

I have had my large set for almost two years now and never had any problems. I love the variety of sizes. I think you have to look at it this way, they sell thousands of sets, and there is only a minority of people that post on the these forums for any product. I don't think they would continue with this line if it was causing issues with their customers across the country. I would say give it a try.

I can totally see what you're saying and it makes sense. But one must keep in mind that the number of people who post here are a teeny tiny minority of the number of people actually shopping and buying. I don't think we know what actual percentage of people have problems. Even with reviews they will delete them or not even post them.

I also think that the profit margin on something like this is so massively high that they can easily afford a LOT of negatives.

Super Contributor

I ordered a pretty little casserole dish a few years ago. It ended up with a good sized chip on the lid and I had no idea of when it happened.

This year I bought the big Temptations set because I needed several pieces and it seemed like a good price. I have had them for 4 months and recently noticed a hairline crack forming under the glaze inside the 9 x 13"" baking dish. It has not been dropped or mishandled in any way. Obviously since this crack is under the glaze it indicates poor quality and workmanship. Never again.

Didn't QVC sell Polish Stoneware at one time? Must be they couldn't make the same profit on them that they get with cheap Chinese made merchandise.

Valued Contributor

I will probably jinx myself for answering your post!! However, I just wanted to say that I bought the 16-piece Temptations set about 4-5 years ago. I was tired of having mismatched pieces on my Holiday dinner table. I have not had a problem with them and I have really put the pieces through the ringer! They have been in the oven and microwave and I've washed them by hand as well as in the dishwasher. I have no complaints whatsoever. In fact, I would buy more but I don't have enough space to store them!! HTH
Super Contributor

Over the past few years I have purchased several sets of Temptations for my personal use. I am not a big cook so my sets do not get a lot of use but even thought I love the look I have had several cracks, severa l chipsl ast week one of the casserole dishes broke into 2 pieces in the oven making a disaster out of a chicken and rice dish. I cannot in good faith recommend this line. I am worried about the safety and will not use any loneger or baking or hot foods.
Super Contributor

Hi Algin! I've purchased Temptations since 2007 and NEVER had a problem with anything. Love them! I use it everyday. I just wish the S&H costs were not so pricey.