Respected Contributor
All: I am very disappointed with a brand of mayonaise called "Dukes". David Venable recommended this brand highly as apparently it is mainly sold south of the Mason Dixon Line. When I saw it as a weekly special in my NY supermarket I was delighted. When I tasted it.... Sour !! Nothing at all like the wonderful Hellmans mayonaise. The Dukes mayonaise had a vinegar like tartness to it. Had to discard the mayonaise and will be back to Hellmans. Very disappointed in David recommending this brand.
Honored Contributor

We like Dukes, we find it here in MD at Walmart, but we find we like Hellmanns better. I only buy light Mayo. 

Trusted Contributor

Love Dukes! It is different but a good different.

Honored Contributor

Never heard of it here on the West Coast. Our family has never used anything but Best Foods, which I believe the WC brand of Hellman's.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Southerners are dedicated to Duke's.  To me it tasts like the Cain's mayonnaise we had in New England.

Esteemed Contributor

I buy both and depending on how I'm using it.  Sometimes Dukes but mostly Hellmans.  Dukes gives plain egg salad a bit of a kick.  Good to have choices.  I've had friends rave about a food product and I've hated it.  We all have different taste buds. 

Respected Contributor

I'm about as southern as they come but I do not care for Duke's mayonnaise. Hellmann's is the only thing I will use. Love it!

Honored Contributor

As a born & raised southern girl (GA) Blue Plate is a preferred brand to Dukes in the south among everyone I know, no matter what David says.

No vinegar taste like Duke's has.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Frequent Contributor

I ended up trying Dukes as it was recommended  by a friend and felt the same way as you did. Way too tangy for me but I am glad I gave it a try. 

Honored Contributor

@kitty60 wrote:

Southerners are dedicated to Duke's.  To me it tasts like the Cain's mayonnaise we had in New England.

I disagree, most Southerners I know, myself and all my friends and family, only buy Blue Plate, not Dukes.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.