Trusted Contributor

Re: Does the tiny and faint type popular in cookbooks drive you nuts?

I agree.

I have noticed this too with product packaging. I just can't read the instructions anymore, they are printed with such tiny print. I have to ask my husband to read the directions for me.

I can't tell if something is supposed to be one half of a cup or one third of a cup, etc. {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Esteemed Contributor

I don't know about cook books but the tiny and very faint text at the bottom of email notices that I get from retailers makes it very difficult to read where to click to unsubscribe. I guess that's why they make it almost invisible.

“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.” St. Julian of Norwich
Valued Contributor

Agree about the faint and small printing. Cooking needs to be precise sometimes and when you cannot make out the small numbers it drives me crazy. Even David Venable's books had printing over colored pages, small print and light ink. He, of all people should know his audience and make sure his editors do a better job with printing. Sometimes, he even brags on a book in his Cookbook corner about being easy to read, great pics, and lies flat. Why doesn't he insist on those conditions for his own books?

Respected Contributor

I haven't bought any new ones lately but I have a couple ebook cookbooks like that. I't think those should be bolded and larger myself.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

If they lie flat, I'm happy.

Trusted Contributor

Omigosh. I'm in my mid-60's, and I've noticed the nefarious "small type" plot against us, too! I can't read anything any more, and actually got out a magnifying glass when I was balancing my checkbook recently. Only old people do that. It's a plot, I tell you!

Honored Contributor

Yes! Sometimes, I have to use readers and a magnifying glass.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes!

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

equally as aggravating from not being able to read the cookbooks or any pill/medicine bottles.....I dislike the lack of pictures beside the recipe in the cookbook....I like to see what my product should look like...now the cookbooks look more like a library book with all the writing and no pix.....