Respected Contributor

Re: Does frying in a large pot of hot oil bother you?

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@CrazyKittyLvr2  Don't take this the wrong way but when I read the title of our post I thought  "yes, that would hurt a lot!"

Smiley LOLSmiley LOL--Made me think of old Bob Hope / 3 Stooges movies when they asked the cannibals " What is the big pot for ?"

Years ago Emerill Lagasse (sp?) talked me into purchasing his deep fryer that you can filter the oil in . I was going to make all of his delicious recipes . After buying gallons of peanut oil ($) and trying a few recipes I remembered I don't care much for fried foods and the smell that lingers ! For the price of all of that oil I can go to a good bakery and buy something tasty in a small quantity which is all I need anyway .

I do keep a small Cooks Essentials deep fryer for when I make homemade egg rolls on rare occasion. I am afraid of fire cooking on a stovetop. It seems a lot of reports of fires are forgotten deep frying on stovetop. It is an absolute must to keep children away when using.

I do refer to my air fryer as a french fry machine though. LOVE  how it cooks crispy ff with just a little oil .

@chickenbuttyour experience is my nightmare  of deep frying. 

Honored Contributor

I'm in the  South, we fry everything.   Doesn't bother me, you do have to know what you are doing.  Since I rarely cook for a big family, I don't do it anymore.   Mostly just in my iron skillet.  I save the oil in an old oil bottle, when full, it goes in the trash.

For a "fish fry", it's best to do frying for a crowd outside.   Tailgating, for example.

I wouldn't take too seriously what Ree does.

I've watched her.    She barely cooks, she's sloppy & we never really see everything from beginning to end.    However, I do like her, I enjoy the stories from the ranch.    But her cooking annoys me.

I've tried some of her food items at the grocery store, not good.    Bob Evans is much better.

Honored Contributor

No because I know to thoroughly dry what's about to be fried, and I don't have the oil so high it pops.

Esteemed Contributor

No deep frying for me—I've never tried it and I never will. The process is just too much of a hassle and a hazard. I am perfectly okay with letting someone else fry my chicken for me the couple of times a year I eat it, and I actually prefer the baked versions of traditionally deep fried foods, such as mozzarella sticks, in virtually all cases. I do pan fry food from time to time, but I don't really enjoy it; it's usually something I'm doing based on a meal request.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was also afraid of frying on a stovetop, so bought an electric deep fryer (mostly for chicken and shrimp).

That didn't last long - for the price of peanut oil and storing, wasn't worth it for it was an occasional, not regular thing.

Denise
Honored Contributor

I don't deep fry anything.  If I want something deep fried like fish and chips, etc I order it in a restaurant.  

Valued Contributor

Years ago I was sitting in a waiting room for a hospital burn unit. I was sitting next to a young man and we started talking. He and his brother were frying french fries in a big pot of oil on the stove. The oil started on fire. In panic his brother grabbed the pan and ran to the apartment's patio door to take it outside. He dropped the pan and was badly, terribly burned. Especially his hand which he would never again have normal use of. 

Since then I have never fried anything in a large pot of oil. My mom used to do it all the time. She kept a bowl of used lard in the refrigerator for the purpose. She made wonderful donuts and french fries. But they have to be just a memory. If I crave fried food I head to a restaurant. 

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't like to fry, even in a shallow pan. My kitchen doesn't have great air ventilation and I hate the smell of fried food or the abundance of smoke lingering. But I do find myself wishing I had a deep fryer sometimes when I think of my grandmother's pizza fritte.