Honored Contributor

Does food stick to enameled cast iron?

I'm wondering why these pots and pans are so popular nowadays. Is it because the look of them is trendy or are they truly non-stick?

~ house cat ~
Contributor

Re: Does food stick to enameled cast iron?

I have, or rather had, one until recently. My husband cooked a chicken dish in it and it absolutely could not be cleaned up afterwards. We've used it for years without a single problem but not this time!

Super Contributor

I have two pieces of Wolfgang Pucks 'light-weight' enamel coated cast iron.

I've had no problems with food sticking. I think it's great.

I hate the trend of cast aluminum cookware.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

I have a couple of enameled cast iron pieces. I will say that in my experience eggs, particularly scrambled eggs, will stick to anything after a while if you don't at least butter or grease the pan lightly.

Can't say I've ever had anything else stick that didn't clean right up with just a rub with a wet sponge.

Probably the worst issue with these utensils is that most, if not all, of them are so darned heavy they're likely to be an issue for folks with dexterity issues like Carpal Tunnel syndrome.

Trusted Contributor

This cookware has been popular for decades. You have the wonderful heat-retention properties of cast iron, allowing long, slow simmering and braising at low heat while also allowing searing and browning at high heat. The enamel resists sticking, allows for easy cleanup, and allows for the slow-simmering of acidic sauces which would eat through the "seasoning" of uncoated cast iron.

Respected Contributor

Enameled cast iron is my fave. It might stick a little but adding liquid while the pot is hot dislodges the stuck bits, thus adding flavor to the dish. I find this type of cookware very easy to cook in, clean and maintain.

Respected Contributor

I bought my first enameled cast iron set from ShopHQ recently and I am impressed. Nothing sticks to it, and I mean NOTHING. I've baked omelets where the cheese oozes out and bakes on the bottom of the pan and it lifts off effortlessly. I find that they are now my go-to pans because they're such a joy to cook with.

I had a bit of a learning curve in the beginning, as I'm used to cooking with a medium flame. With enamaled cast iron, a low flame is sufficient, as it retains even the least amount of heat wonderfully.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James