Honored Contributor

Does food presentation matter when it's just for you?

[ Edited ]

Something mentioned on another thread got me thinking of a conversation I had with my girlfriends the other night.  They expressed surprised when I said that I never grab a random plate, or cup out of my cupboard.  I have various sizes, shapes, patterns, depending on my mood or the food being served.  The general consensus among them was that I'm "nuts" - they have a cabinet full of mugs and glasses and they grab what's clean and available.

That was my mother's house, but not here.  I guess I really do eat with my eyes first.  

It's not unusual for me to get a text from DH in the afternoon, when he knows I'm about to leave work, saying "I'm putting your tea on, which cup do you want?", lol.  

Writing this also brings to mind one of my sweetest memories of my dearest Aunt Evelyn. She lived next door to us growing up and I must have shared coffee with her thousands of times.  Standard fare was a Corelle mug, paper plates and Entenmann's cake in the box. She was very proud of all the lovely tableware she owned, but rarely used it.  I went to her apartment for afternoon coffee whille on a visit from my new home in California.  It must have been sometime during the last year of her life.  When I got there the table was set with a tablecloth and her best dishes that she'd purchased in Italy and never dared to use.  Of course I was suprised.  She said that I always fussed so much over her, that she thought it only right to fuss over me. I would have enjoyed the visit just as much with the paper plate and crumb cake in the box, but I was touched by the sentiment.

I guess I'm just in a nostalgic mood today and thought I'd see what my forum friends had to share....

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Does food presentation matter when it's just for you?

Such a sweet story! Thanks for sharing. I myself am more like your aunt. I use paper plates all the time, but I actually do have a favorite mug for my coffee. 

Respected Contributor

Presentation matters every bit as much as preparation.  

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

Hi @house_cat~

I have lots of pretty mismatched plates, cups and bowls and I use them all.

I really like and enjoy making things look special when I do have someone over because I think it makes them feel special.My oldest daughter is this way and It always makes me feel like I am a princess and honored guest in a 5-star resort!I feel loved and cared for.

On the other hand, I think it can become a burden when more emphasis is put on the getting out all the right things or getting too caught up in it instead of enjoying being with who you're with.

I guess I am thinking of someone in my family who always wants the best china and cloth napkins and never wants paper plates that can be fun as well-this then involves washing and drying by hand maybe for 8 or more people.I want them (and all of us) to be able to relax too.

Plus I think at the right times, paper plates, cups etc can be so festive and pretty too!

Not sure if thats what you were talking about but fun to talk about! And I loved the story of your auntSmiley Happy

Oh and I have always had a hard time resisting a pretty glass, cup, plate etc or nice pan even though I don't "cook" much at all but I only have enough so it isn't crowded if that makes sense.

Are you sorry you asked lol?! I feel like I have been going on here foreverWoman LOL

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@on the bay

No. I am glad I asked.  I love to share stories with all of you.

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

@house_cat I have a few favorite coffee cups, or larger mugs (not big and bulky, though).  LOL I just bought one that says "Good morning, Gorgeous."  I figured that could only help... I'm not a morning person.  Smiley Happy  I have all Corelle (white) dishes and I really like them.  I use them for everything.  They're sturdy, but light (arthritis in thumbs).

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Esteemed Contributor

Oh @house_cat I'm exactly like you!  I have to coordinate my cup and cereal bowl in the morning, even though I may be half asleep lol. I never ever just grab something out of the cabinet. Right now I'm using different autumn themed mugs/cups that I've collected over time, and I have to chose which color Fiesta bowl looks best with each, lol. Every day. Doesn't matter that I'm the only one who sees it- it just pleases my eyes to see it. Same goes for lunch on the days I'm home for lunch. Mr. Shoes would eat everything off a paper plate and be perfectly happy, but I like to set a pretty table just for the two of us. I have Fiesta dinnerware, and I like to change out the colors I'm using according to the season. Right now the lemongrass green and flamingo pieces are getting a workout because they blend well with the autumn hued placemats. It's not that we entertain much, just that I like to eat at a well coordinated table, I guess. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

I love tableware.  I am passionate about collecting unusual pieces.  I have a lot of different patterns and a whole lot of white pieces.  I have Evesham and elephant patterns and peacock pattern dishes and serving pieces etc.

i mostly use my everyday dishes, but when I have company, even if it just 1 other person, I enjoy setting a lovely table and using my special dishes.  I love my olive boats!

I never use plastic dishes or paper plates( unless I am camping).  My maternal grandmother always set a beautiful table.  She never even put a milk carton on the table.  She always used a pitcher.  Everything had a special container, even ketchup and mustard which was served in small bowls with a little spoon. My mother was not like my grandmother, so,I guess the love for a beautiful table skipped a generation,

My husband and I have traveled to Europe and Asia. I always brought back fine table linens.  I have a large collection of tablecloths and napkins too.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Presentation does matter to me even if I'm eating alone.  It makes every meal special, even if it's just a sandwich.  I have a matching service for eight of Mikasa casual dinnerware for every day.  I also have my mother's beautiful Bavarian china service for 12 that she bought decades ago with all the special serving pieces.

I sometimes buy "separates," or "open stock," but always in a set of four or six for very casual use depending on what it is.  For example, last year my Rite Aid store sold a set of harvest-themed dinnerware at this time of year.  It was nice and substantial and very simple...ecru base color, and three harvest-colored stripes painted around rippled rims.  They were adorable, but I really didn't need them.  A few weeks later, I was in the store again, and the dinnerware was marked down by two-thirds to make room for their Christmas items.  How could I pass that up, right?  I bought four soup bowls and four accompanying plates for less than $10.  I love them!  If I'm having soup for lunch, I use those two dishes AND I have nice big mugs in a solid ecru color made by Real Simple that are coincidentally a perfect match.

This year, Rite Aid has the same set of dinnerware in the solid colors of last year's harvest-colored stripes, so they coordinate perfectly.  I'm trying to resist...

Honored Contributor

Sometimes I have a cup of tea out of one of my mom's good China cups. I swear the tea tastes better, and I have a nice memory of my mom and how much she loved that China.☕️☕️

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan