Honored Contributor

Re: Does anyone wax their silver plated display pieces?

i got rid of every piece of silverplated stuff i had around the house.

it was definitely a freeing experience.

no need to polish, no need to worry if i dont polish.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Does anyone wax their silver plated display pieces?

@depglass wrote:

I have a few pieces of silver plate sitting in the china cabinet.  Of course it's tarnished, it's usually tarnished.  It gets that way shortly after I get a burst of energy and shine it up. What if there were some way to protect it, Pledge, maybe?  Car wax?  I could experiment but if someone has an answer it would lead me to the right solution.  I've never seen a giant silver safekeeper, maybe Laurie could invent one.  

@depglass 

I have silver pieces in my china cabinet, too, and I'll share a hint I read about and then tried.  Moth balls in a closed container (like a china cabinet) will slow down the tarnishing process.  So I put moth balls in several containers where they wouldn't show on different shelves.  The good news was that it did seem to help prevent tarnish on the silver pieces.  The bad news was that it left an ugly film on all of the crystal in that same china cabinet.  I had to clean all of the glasses and never put moth balls in that cabinet again. Yikes!

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett