Honored Contributor

Does anyone wax their silver plated display pieces?

I have a few pieces of silver plate sitting in the china cabinet.  Of course it's tarnished, it's usually tarnished.  It gets that way shortly after I get a burst of energy and shine it up. What if there were some way to protect it, Pledge, maybe?  Car wax?  I could experiment but if someone has an answer it would lead me to the right solution.  I've never seen a giant silver safekeeper, maybe Laurie could invent one.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Does anyone wax their silver plated display pieces?

@depglass  I have a few pieces stored in my China cabinet.  I only polish them once a year or so and they get very tarnished...would love to hear if anyone has some great ideas too!

Respected Contributor

Wrap them in plastic wrap, so no air can get at them.  Works like a charm, but of course you cannot display them.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

It might be easiest to just consider the tarnish to be part of the piece's charming 'patina' and live with it.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

When I moved I donated every piece of silver plate I owned.

It's too much work and most of the year it looks awful. Not worth having in my home to use 2-3 times a year at most. 

I do not miss it one bit.

Honored Contributor

I got rid of anything that needed to be polished. Would rather mop the floor than fool around with that job.

Honored Contributor

Re.: Does anyone wax their silver plated display pieces?

I received a silver plated tea service for a shower gift a million years ago.  That has NEVER been my thing.  It was donated ages ago.

I know this doesn't help the OP, but my guess is she doesn't use it much either.  I don't know of any way to prevent tarnish that doesn't involve putting an item in a tarnish-proof container of some sort.  The only other option is pulling out the silver polish every few months.

Respected Contributor

3M makes strips that you put in with freshly polished silver in a confined space. They're supposed to retard tarnish formation for 6 months. You need to buy them in the original sealed package, not individually, or they may not be as effective. Don't know if they'd work in a china closet.

Because silver plate will eventually wear off with use and polishing, I have very little of it. Sterling is solid silver, so AFAIC, it's worth the hassle of polishing. I keep my sterling in Hagerty's blue silver bags that also help discourage tarnish.

Trusted Contributor

@depglass   There is a product called  Protectaclear that you can paint on the silver plate.. I have never used it but it got decent reviews.  It can be found at Everbritecoatings dot com.

Honored Contributor

I have had a reputable dealer of sterling tell me she used Turtle Wax but I have never tried it.  I was thinking about it!