Honored Contributor

Does anyone watch "Masterclass" with Mary Berry and Paul Hollywood?

[ Edited ]

I think it's the best baking show ever on t.v.  Each of them is so talented and experienced. I can't get enough of that show. If you haven't seen it, you need to look for it. I think it's listed as

"The Best British Baking Show, Master Class".

It inspired me to learn my metric measurements. I remember my 5th grade teacher introducing us to the metric system, telling us that our system would soon be obsolete.  Well, that didn't happen, but I should have paid more attention and actually learned it.

Click here for an excellent tutorial

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Re: Does anyone watch "Masterclass" with Mary Berry and Paul Hollywood?

I enjoy watching them.  

I wish I knew what the US equivalents were for all the different kinds of flours and sugars they use.

Respected Contributor

I love to watch the interaction between them. The respect and affection is palpable. Reminds me of Julia

Child and Jacques Pepin.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@house_cat wrote:

I think it's the best baking show ever on t.v.  Each of them is so talented and experienced. I can't get enough of that show. If you haven't seen it, you need to look for it. I think it's listed as

"The Best British Baking Show, Master Class".

It inspired me to learn my metric measurements. I remember my 5th grade teacher introducing us to the metric system, telling us that our system would soon be obsolete.  Well, that didn't happen, but I should have paid more attention and actually learned it.

Click here for an excellent tutorial

@house_cat  Your story is eerily similar to mine, including the grade I was in. My teacher was so serious about it, all missed answers were reviewed, and we then had to pass the test with 100% accuracy, so I was well versed by the end of the school year😊.

I tried to teach my mother but... I can't repeat the colorful language she used while rejecting it. She told me that I would do the grocery shopping when needed. Thank goodness it was short lived.😂

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Esteemed Contributor

I highly recommend all the "Great British Baking Show" episodes as well as "Britain's Best Home Cook." All are worth seeking out for their warm and entertaining content as well as the opportunity to learn about all the differences in the way another country's people bake and cook. I've seen all of them at least twice each!

Honored Contributor

I catch it now and then on PBS.  I like both Paul and Mary though, I must admit, on the show they are a mutual admiration society.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@housecat My DS and DIL really enjoy this show.  I watched the tutorial and will try to do more baking by weight.  I have a scale which I use mainly for weighing meat.  I've even used the TARE function for the container but it had not occured to me to use with each additional ingredient when baking.  Thanks!

Trusted Contributor

@house_cat ,

You should check out the cooking and baking You Tube channel, Mobile Home Gourmet!  This gentleman also gives all measurements in both US Customary Unit and Metric amounts and temperatures in F°/C°.  He lives in a trailer park somewhere in CA.  As implied by his channel name, gourmet dishes can be prepared and enjoyed regardless of your residential location.  I think I want to attempt his Chicken and Spinach Pie one day-- check it out (search "How I Make Chicken and Spinach Pie" on his YT channel)!!!  You're an adventurous cook/baker (petit fours, yes!) and this recipe is one I can see you taking on (fillo dough).

Honored Contributor

@vabreeze 

Thanks for recommending the show.  Side note: there are many trailer parks along the coast of California that are too expensive for me.. just sayin', lol.  In any case, I do agree that good food can be cooked almost anywhere, including my tiny kitchen. However, you give me too much credit. I am really not very adventurous and filo dough is way outside of my skill set. Still, I love watching those who have the gumption to try it and I'm looking forward to finding the show later today.

~ house cat ~
Contributor

I have watched all seasons of the GBBS.  All their voices are so gentle and soothing and the scenery is TDF.  Quite the opposite of most TV content.