Trusted Contributor

Re: Does anyone own the Splatter Guards?

I have the set of the original 3 that Eric Theiss brought to the Q, and I love them......{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1} I have used them as a splatter guard, and I use them mostly for the microwave, and have found that if you slide them off without tilting, then I can take them straight to the sink, and then tilt them, and no condensation falls into to grease, or items I am reheating or such in the microwave, so no problem for me........I have also taken out frozen cookie dough, and put 3-4 frozen cookies on them, and baked in the oven, and no mess, and the cookies came out perfect, and I have had no problems with staining, or smells, and mostly just rinse them off with total hot water, or I will use the dishwasher, if I am about to wash a load, as no take up room in the dishwasher, and have no issues.........As for the new ones shown last night, and putting a "breaded" item thru the center, then I am not so sure about a freshly breaded item to be fed into the hot grease, as I somehow see some of the breading coming off when you put it thru the center, but could see where you could use this if say you are feeding in frozen breaded items with no problems........Not looking to buy the new ones, but not wanting to trash the set that I have, as it serves my purposes quite well.........with the learning curve that I have had...........Cool

The strength of the wolf is the pack, and the strength of the pack is the wolf.......
Honored Contributor

My pots had glass lids and i have managed to break most of them over the years so i bought a set of splatter guards to replace those lids. They work well for that , but I agree they are not very good for using when frying because steam builds up under them.
Super Contributor

On 2/27/2014 faeriemoon said:
On 2/27/2014 RedTop said:

I have been using a set of the red splatter guards for over a year, and absolutely love them. I put them to use several times a week, either as a lid, or as a hot pad. Yes, they do collect steam underneath just as faeriemoon described, but I do not find that to be a negative issue, since that is the same result when using an actual lid. I actually like using the splatter guards when frying chicken, as just enough steam escapes from the skillet to keep the chicken nice and crisp as it's frying, instead of being totally "steamed" and having a soft exterior when done. My splatter guards look exactly as they did when they arrived; they are not stained, or discolored from being used as a hot pad, and they have no smell after a year of steady usage. This simple product is one of my favorite buys from QVC, and I wish I had ordered more of these to give as gifts, since I am getting so much use out of them.

My issue is that when you are frying, the condensation causes a big splatter when you remove the lid. I know this can happen with any lid (and you don't generally fry with a lid on the pan), but the purpose of this splatter guard is to keep the oil in, and let the steam out. My complaint is that it traps the steam, then when you remove it you get the huge oil splatter.Smile

I have a solution for you ... restaurants. {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

I have a couple of splatter guards I purchased at TJMaxx. Love.

Super Contributor

I bought 4 sets of the original ones when they were an 'AS IS' item. My ONLY regret - giving away three of the sets the day they came. I only kept one for myself. The smallest one lives in the microwave. Literally. Never comes out. i just stand it upright against the metal wall when cooking things where it's not needed. Use it all the time on small containers. I use the small and medium when stack cooking.

I don't just use the microwave to reheat, I actually cook in it; therefore I often need vented covers on many containers. These fill the bill.

Have no problem using when frying. As forrestwolf noted, don't try to tilt up to remove. Just slide off. No spattering. I use a large Lodge cast iron chicken fryer or a Staub 4 quart for deep frying. Large one fits these, as well as large kettle.

I also use the medium when baking just a few cookies either in oven or microwave. Small and medium ones also fit my Breville.

Only reason I'm considering buying the new ones - could really use at least one more small and medium.

Respected Contributor

I have the original red ones in the set of three...Large, medium and small. I use them in place of pot/pan lids as well as splatter guards and love them! Some small amounts of condensation may build up but just slide them off when you need to uncover. I also use them in the microwave and in the oven to reheat pizza, crisp up french fries, oven heat mozzarella sticks etc. I think many people forget they have many more uses other than splatter guards.

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
New Contributor

I have used the splatter guards many times and really like it. I use it for bacon and it does what it is supposed to.

Esteemed Contributor

Are these the rubber ones? I got these in purple several years ago and use them in the microwave all the time. Wonderful item. I use them under my dinner plate when I eat in bed. Best thing I ever bought from the Q. I love all three sizes. Mine don't smell at all.

Respected Contributor

I have two different sets made by Prepology. One is the older style of the set of three silicone and the other is a set of two mesh type.

I really like the silicone ones and use the frequently. Actually use them in the oven, mostly for cookies and rolls. They wash up nicely. The mesh ones are like a grease guard and I just don't care for them and they will be finding a new home shortly.