Trusted Contributor

Re: Does anyone on the board like to make pierogi (sp)?

I've never personally made them but had a friend that did. They are a lot of work and the best way is to make a zillion of them, assembly line style and freeze them. There is a place in McKees Rocks, near Pittsburgh. They are authentic pierogies, 'Pierogies Plus'. They have been on the Food Network, and I think they do mail order. I'll have to look it up for you and do an edit.

Here it is: http://pierogiesplus.com/

Respected Contributor

My mother and aunts used to make pierogi when I was a kid and they made tons at at time. It is a lot of work but back in the dark ages it was the only way to get pierogi. I would never make them now. Nobody likes them but me. The rest of the family turns up their nose at such carb heavy food. They were delicious, however. We ate them with lots of melted butter and sauteed onions.

The frozen ones available in stores taste nothing like the homemade ones and I am dying for some now. Will look into the mail order ones recommended by lacey1. It's so cold out now, they will likely stay frozen for the whole delivery trip.

Regular Contributor

In today's Sunday paper "Parade" magazine they have a recipe from Michael Symon (for Super Bowl), Pierogi Lasagna. It can be found @ www.parade.com/superchefs Oh and we have two churches in town, one has a sign out front were you can order pierogi's from them and the other has their spring church fair were home made pierogis are sold. Like has been said, there is nothing like home made.

Occasional Contributor

I love pierogi and attempted my own for the first time this holiday. WHAT A NIGHTMARE. I'd been warned but I still tried (and I'm a good, patient cook). The worst part is that although I crimped them as I've seen done in the many authentic ones I've bought over the years, they came open when boiled and the filling escaped from many of them. I have no idea what went wrong, but that was an entire day of my life I'll never get back.

I won't eat "Mrs. T's" etc. but will buy them at the churches and authentic places back in my home area (NE OH/Western PA), freeze them, and fly them back in my luggage periodically. A few dozen will last me well over a year.

I have tried the pierogi casserole or "lazy man's pierogis" with lasagna noodles and although it's good, it is really not like eating pierogis. More like a mashed potato casserole.

Super Contributor

Oh yummy! You have all just made my mouth water! Love them!
Trusted Contributor

On 1/26/2014 WSfan said:

My husband has talked about making them, but hasn't done so. We're both of Polish decent, and I can tell you that it's a lot of work. If you can find the store bought brand named Kasia, they are very good. Can be found in the frozen food section. We're in the Chicagoland area, so it may be a local brand.

I think they had this brand on sample at Costco today. They were very good. My 90 year old great aunt makes pierogies with her church lady friends during holiday seasons. 500 dozen of them! They're really good.

*QVC Community member since 10/24/2006*
Esteemed Contributor

I buy them from a local family-owned shop. They are homemade, inexpensive, and wonderful! Kiss

Super Contributor

I know they are a lot of work and carbs ( lifetime weightwatcher), and we live in western ,Pa , so some churches make them. I think I must be bored with all the snow, and in the winter I cook and bake. My friend is Polish and she offered to make them with me, perhaps that is the way to go.

Super Contributor

DIsclaimer:  I'm responding to an old thread.  I never had pierogies until only a couple years ago, when, out of curiosity, I got a few frozen bags of them.  I remember seeing a deli featured on, "Diners, Drive-ins, & Dives" that showed the making of pierogies.  So far, I haven't tried making them.  From what it sounds like on this thread, they're a pain to make.  But I'm still considering it.  I have a set of various sizes of dumpling dough presses, which I'm thinking might work for pierogies (I've used the presses for potstickers when I didn't feel like folding them myself.).  My family might really like them homemade.  Had no takers on the frozen ones.  I found a handful of potato and cheddar pierogies in the freezer that I forgot all about.  I ate them last night with some sweet and sour sauce and chopped onions, being it was Ash Wednesday, and due to my religious beliefs, I could not eat meat.  Maybe not exactly authentic cooking, but honestly, they were gooooood.  Cooked 'em in my Cook's Essentials Perfect Cooker, too. The cooking and serving ideas here sound SO delicious.  Any thoughts in 2017 on this food?  Thanks!!  :-)

Super Contributor

I am 100% Polish and I make homemade pierogis but I use Chinese wonton wrappers!  My filling is potato, onion, butter/margarine, and Farmer's cheese.  I make over a hundred at a time and then freeze them in batches of 8-10.  The wonton wrappers are nice and thin (thinner than I could ever roll out the dough) and make a very tender pierogi.  Even without rolling out the dough, this is a big job and usually takes me about 4 hours for the 100 or so.