Super Contributor

Re: Does anyone here cook for an elderly relative or neighbor?

I saw that episode today. Rhee took a lot of the same thing, didn't she? It was staged. Did you notice that the grandmother's freezer had plenty of room for all of it. Who has 9 vegetable lasagnas in their freezer. I imagine grandma would rather have some of the leftovers (frozen) from the other delicious meals they serve. But I would take a bunch of waffles any day.

Highlighted
Contributor

I was watching and thought it was sweet and useful. I was a caretaker for many years and am aware of the problems the elderly have with many foods. Many don't eat well because they won't or can't easily prepare food. Carrying home groceries is no treat, either.

Aside from that, when I prepare a treat for the family, I like to make extra to share with friends and neighbors. When my dh's elderly relatives still lived independently, it got to the point that they didn't need gifts. We would stop by an upscale store and create a basket with cheeses, crackers, good bakery items, pates (which they really liked). They appreciated this more than other gifts, and makes me happy to remember.

On another note... for a Christmas gift, I would give them the next year's calendar with everyone's birthdays, and some stamps, etc. Things were getting harder for them to stay on top of, and these things make it a little easier.

Honored Contributor

On 5/10/2014 Sooner said:

Nothing. Her diet is ciggaretts, power bars, instant oatmeal and soup. Don't start ragging at me because she is healthier than I am and won't eat anything else . . . go figure.

Wasn't it Betty White who has said, when asked what is her secret, that she loves hot dogs and chips, and dislikes veggies and anything healthy. Also, her co-stars on Hot in Cleveland have said the same about her.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Super Contributor

On 5/10/2014 ivey said:

I saw that episode today. Rhee took a lot of the same thing, didn't she? It was staged. Did you notice that the grandmother's freezer had plenty of room for all of it. Who has 9 vegetable lasagnas in their freezer. I imagine grandma would rather have some of the leftovers (frozen) from the other delicious meals they serve. But I would take a bunch of waffles any day.

Yes. I'm sure it's always staged, but I did notice that empty freezer. Still, I would think she might bring one or two lasagna trays and a couple of soups, but a whole freezer full of lasagna? What's the point of that? And, while I'm already criticizing the show, which I happen to love, she said those were single serving size trays? If so, Grandma must have a man around that house somewhere.

Super Contributor

I cook for my Dad several times a week.......other family members do days also...... He is on a low salt diet so I cook fresh veggies and use Mrs. Dash seasonings, lemon juice, etc. He likes veggies & baked or broiled chicken. I make up dinners and use the salt free seasonings but add salt to my plate. Except for soup or stews I rarely freeze his meals .......I like for him to have a meal cooked everyday......besides I have to cook anyway.....
Super Contributor

On 5/10/2014 ROMARY said:
On 5/10/2014 Sooner said:

Nothing. Her diet is ciggaretts, power bars, instant oatmeal and soup. Don't start ragging at me because she is healthier than I am and won't eat anything else . . . go figure.

Wasn't it Betty White who has said, when asked what is her secret, that she loves hot dogs and chips, and dislikes veggies and anything healthy. Also, her co-stars on Hot in Cleveland have said the same about her.

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Honored Contributor

When I was taking care of both parents, they each had certain things they could/should/shouldn't eat. So a lot depends on teeth, health, med's, ability to help themselves. Those are the most important things. Mom having Celiac, needed just certain bread type of rolls made for her. Due to blood, she couldn't have dark leafy green (Vit K) foods with the meds she was on. Dad on the other hand is Diabetic and we needed to keep his sugar type of foods minimal. He also has Lymphedema, so we needed to also be careful of salt. One of this a hundred of another. So I guess I'd suggest, check health and meds out, then supply accordingly. See if allergic to anything too.

One other thing, what they one day like, they may not the next time. Don't get/give too much of the same thing. Helps that it doesn't become monotonous too.

Respected Contributor

when my mother was alive i know she liked things to be quick and easy - and easy to chew. i would grate hard boiled eggs for egg salad and put tuna in the processor for a smooth tuna salad. she liked scoops of both with a muffin or a roll. good to think of her today, Mother's Day.

Honored Contributor

I do all my mom's cooking. She can no longer cook or prepare food for herself but can still use the microwave.

I purchase the $6 meat/fish entrees in the meat depart of Wegman's. They have delicious meat specialty dishes such as stuffed pork chops, chicken artichoke etc. All nice cuts of meat made fancy! They come in their own aluminum bake pan that makes clean up a toss!

I can then add a veg/salad/starch and the meal is done. This way she gets fresh meals instead of just always getting extras from what I cook for us.

I bought the lock/lock 3 divider dishes that make this all so easy.

One thing I also do is purchase the $6 complete meals from Wegman's for my mom. They are quite delicious and generous portions so she gets two meals usually. You get one large meat or fish and 2 sides (tons to choose from). However, I must transfer them to my own dishes. Mom refuses to buy them when I take her shopping for who knows what reasons. But when I pass them off as mine, they are a culinary delight to her! I hate to be sneaky but work full time and have no siblings to help care for her everyday! No harm really!

Super Contributor

My mother hates my cooking and wants to know why no one cooks "like people used to." I don't even know what that means. She can't even think of things to put on a grocery list for me to go buy her to fix herself and if I pick up things for her when I go grocery shopping, she doesn't like it. She lives on Boosts practically.