Super Contributor

Does anyone here cook for an elderly relative or neighbor?

What kinds of things do you make to freeze?

I was watching Pioneer Woman today and she brought a boatload of lasagna, soup and cheesy bread to her grandma's freezer.

It would take my mom at least three years to eat all that.

I don't know why it struck me as odd, but it did.

What kinds of things do you cook and bring? What freezes best and what do they ask for most?

Thank you.

Honored Contributor

Re: Does anyone here cook for an elderly relative or neighbor?

I take homemade soup to an elderly couple across the street. I also take homemade ice cream when I make it.

Honored Contributor

whatever i cook for us, i put small disposable containers aside and pack them with food for her. she loves pretty much all of my soups and she makes those a meal. she also loves my spaghetti sauce,stews, and chili. anytime i buy larger amounts of fruits and vegetables (like from sams club), i make a plastic bag and put one or two of the items in it. she likes things like tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce, peppers, carrots, bananas, apples, oranges, pears, lemons/limes, avocados. when i buy a stack of tuna cans, i give one to her.

she rarely turns anything away.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Contributor

I cook for my parents and I do a lot of pressure cooking because they have difficulty with chewing and swallowing. I create nutritious stews and meals with their favorite veggies and meats.

Valued Contributor

I am the elderly neighbor---my son and DIL are coming here tomorrow to make us waffles for Mother's Day. Smiley Happy
Regular Contributor

This is a subject very dear to my heart. For about ten years, I cooked meals for my parents-- and then for my mother after Dad died-- and believe me, it is a difficult but rewarding task. I know-- because our doctor told me-- that my very careful adherence to Mom's strict dietary needs extended her life. But it was difficult and often frustrating especially at the beginning, when I had to convince her to use a microwave for reheating and teach her how to use it.

It was a lot of trial and error, but when I found the right combination of low fat, no salt recipes and took into account the kinds of foods Mom liked, it became a positive, bonding experience. After initially resenting my "interfering" in her kitchen domain, Mom came to appreciate and love my arrivals with coolers loaded with pre-packaged meals she only had to heat up in the microwave.

For those of you doing this for family members or relatives, please share. It could be a very positive thread and encourage others to take this step to make an important difference in the lives of our loved ones or neighbors.

Super Contributor

On 5/10/2014 sylviahomeatlast said: I am the elderly neighbor---my son and DIL are coming here tomorrow to make us waffles for Mother's Day. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Nothing. Her diet is ciggaretts, power bars, instant oatmeal and soup. Don't start ragging at me because she is healthier than I am and won't eat anything else . . . go figure.

Super Contributor

On 5/10/2014 NC1Customer said:

I cook for my parents and I do a lot of pressure cooking because they have difficulty with chewing and swallowing. I create nutritious stews and meals with their favorite veggies and meats.

This is a concern of mine, as well. My dad has problems both chewing and getting food onto the fork and into his mouth. He's still of sound mind and resents any help, like cutting meat for him, so it can be very painstaking to watch him eat. I try to make things that are easy. Thick, hearty soups are his favorite. My mom turns her nose up at just about everything except cakes and cookies. I think this is payback for having been a picky eater as a child.

Contributor

My dad has Alzheimer's and on a bad day he will not be able to use a fork. I always set his place to include a spoon and if I see that he is confused or struggling with his fork, I'll make mention of the spoon. His visiting nurse suggested use of a smaller spoon and smaller glass to counter the swallowing issues. No straws. There was some pushback to the size at first, but in a few weeks, he was fine with it. Both of my folks are very vocal if they don't like the food-that seems to be part of the process. You are a good daughter - keep up your fine efforts, offering good food is very important to their well being.