Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: Does anyone have experience with refacing cabinets?

I had a small kitchen where I used to live.  They were the standard builder grade kitchen cabinets that were turning yellow.  Had them refaced to cherry, not real dark, but cherry.  The fronts of the cabinets were all replaced and the sides and the rest were sanded down and refinished to match.  The guy did excellent work.  We liked it so much, we did the cabinets in the master bathroom.  Thi was over 10 years ago, maybe even closer to 12 or more.  I believe the kithen cost about $7000 - $8000 and the bathroom was probably around $3000 or a little less.  Looking back, I should of done a white or cream.  I remember the guy suggesting that, why I didn't, I don't know.  Where I live now, it's very popular to do this.  Many seem to go with a painting company.  

Honored Contributor

With the high costs described here, you might want to look into cabinets during 4th of July sales.

Right now because of the pandemic there is a supply issue with lumber causing costs to sky rocket.

You might want to wait a year.

Esteemed Contributor

When we replaced our kitchen cabinets - it was easy.  Visited a cabinet showroom - selected style and wood choice........cabinets were completely 'finished' - inside and out.  Cabinets came in boxes - carpenter removed old cabinets - opened the  boxes -and  installed new cabinets.  Done!   Less time & labor.

Painting cabinets never look professional - scratches - dirty fingers - paint can chip and peel.

New cabinets will add value to your house.

Honored Contributor

I do not believe it is necessary to replace.

REFACE is by far the more economical way to go IF you are not wanting to change your layout.  NO one will ever know if they are done correctly.

Will add just as much value to a sale.

Keeping our layout, replacing estimates were $40K and up for different, real wood brand new cabinets.  Total tear out (such a waste as they were in perfect condition) and complete replace.

For $8K we refaced with wood doors and drawers.  All other areas were refaced with a wood overlay.

Custom stained our window and microwave shelf to match.

Added 8 new recessed lights

Changed two door cabinets to pull out drawer cabinets.  They custom built them.

Completed in 2 days.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am in the process of repainting my kitchen cabinets which are 20 years old.  I had 5 contractors come through with estimates up to $45,000.  My kitchen is huge (51 cabinet fronts) and I am in shock how great they look (3 coats sprayed with sanding between each coat).  With this redo I am getting quartz countertops (had Corian which looked brand new), new lighting, backsplash, new hardware and new sink.  Very pleased.

Valued Contributor

I would suggest #1 first & foremost getting any kitchen remodel/reface/replace job done by a professional who specializes in kitchens/cabinets/millwork. Research what you want done. I'm in people's homes (tiny homes to multi million dollar estates) for my business & I've seen it ALL. Spending more money doesn't necessarily equate to getting a job well done if it is done half @@@ or by someone who doesn't speciaize in what you want done. The same with going super cheap-it shows!

If they are true solid wood and in good shape, you could get them repainted or stained another color. Mine were solid wood, but in bad shape & 60 years old. I gutted the whole room after saving many years to be able to do so.
Trusted Contributor

I am the original poster. I was told I can't get new cabinets installed without damaging the relatively new granite countertops. That's why I am looking at refacing. Otherwise I would get new ones.

Trusted Contributor

@geegerbee wrote:

I am the original poster. I was told I can't get new cabinets installed without damaging the relatively new granite countertops. That's why I am looking at refacing. Otherwise I would get new ones.

@geegerbee  curious if you made a decision.  I have a 22 year old house with beautiful oak cabinets.  They are darker oak and arched on top and look very out of style.  My kitchen is very dark.  I do have a lot of cabinets and drawers.  I got one estimate for painting that was over $5300 and he wasn't sure the grain would not show thru.  I have granite counter tops that are 15 years old.  I may replace at some point but not right now. I  found someone that replaces but he has been putting me off for two months to come out and give me an estimate.  I did get another estimate yesterday that they would make custom doors and drawer fronts and paint a lighter color.  That estimate came in around $7000.  I am leaning towards that.  I was thinking if the painting came in around $2500 I would probably try that and possibly in 10 years reface or replace.  

Valued Contributor

@TurnerGal  My truthful opinion is to wait until you can afford replacing the cabs and saving countertops. You may save money in the short run by resurfacing, long term it's just not a great solution. You can check into Cabinets To Go or find a reputable remodeling company. If you can, visit Houz dot com. You will find oodles of ideas and request local vendors to give you free ideas/quotes. Good luck! 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@geegerbee wrote:

;I know painting would be cheapest, but the hardware needs to be replaced and I understand the paint wears off after a while, especially around the handles.  Thanks for the tips about going to Lowe's and Home Depot. 

@geegerbee 

I read online about having issues with the paint around the hardware since that's the most used area.

We will finally be finished with our remodel next week.

We decided to go with stained cabinets since we are getting older. We don't want to deal with the touch ups involved with painting.  

$11,800 seems high IMO.