Super Contributor

Re: Does anyone have a moist corn muffin recipe?

OK - don't laugh but the Marie Callender's Corn Muffin Mix is SOOOOOO moist!!!

Seriously, all you add is water to mix.

The mix is easy to find in grocery stores. I think Walmart sells it too.

Try it!

Super Contributor

On 3/11/2014 Sister Golden Hair said:
On 3/11/2014 house cat said:

Okay, they're out of the oven and they look like they will be as moist as promised. I'm not happy with the shape of them. They didn't poof up like my muffins usually do and I'm fussy about appearance. Could it be because I used buttermilk instead of regular milk? They look good otherwise.

After you mix your batter, do you let it stand for a few minutes? Then stir and fill your pan.

No. I didn't know to do this. Why is it important?

Honored Contributor

It is called "resting the batter". Something my Mother taught me. It helps the cornbread rise better. Also, never mix cornbread with a mixer, only by hand. The batter doesn't need to be smooth. Always whip your eggs in a bowl before adding to your mix. I like them to be fluffy.

Use a fork to mix your batter.

Esteemed Contributor

It is called "resting the batter". Something my Mother taught me. It helps the cornbread rise better. Also, never mix cornbread with a mixer, only by hand. The batter doesn't need to be smooth. Always whip your eggs in a bowl before adding to your mix. I like them to be fluffy.

Hi SGH{#emotions_dlg.wub} My mother taught me to do it this way too. She made the best cornbread from scratch. I use Jiffy, but I prepare it this way.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Super Contributor

I did whisk the eggs and milk first and I blended it all with a fork. I was careful to not over mix. I didn't know about resting the batter, though. I will try that next time.

I haven't had breakfast yet, so I haven't tasted them, but I have one packed to take to work with me and it looks like it's going to be light and moist. Smile

Super Contributor

Two packages of Jiffy Corn Muffin mix, add the eggs and milk (I use half and half) as listed for one box, and a can of creamed corn. I don't have any on hand, so I can't tell you the ounces of cornmeal, amount of eggs, etc.

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/12/2014 autumnfaire said:

Two packages of Jiffy Corn Muffin mix, add the eggs and milk (I use half and half) as listed for one box, and a can of creamed corn. I don't have any on hand, so I can't tell you the ounces of cornmeal, amount of eggs, etc.

I use Jiffy Corn Muffin mix as well, and I do rest the batter (although I didn't know that's what it is called)- it says on the box to let it rest and the centers will rise more. But I never actually thought of adding creamed corn to it - sounds really good - I'll have to try it next time..{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Super Contributor

I really like Krusteaz Honey Cornbread and Muffin mix. Always bakes up great and the recipes on the package are really yummy (especially the Bacon Cheddar cornbread and Santa Fe Cornbread). I also like Betty Crocker, because it makes a smaller amount. It just depends on what I'm making it to go with or if I am making dumplings or waffles. I do agree that Jiffy Cornbread is not the same anymore and hasn't been for a long time, it used to be my favorite until they changed it. I too, let the batter rest, before baking and always mix by hand, doing both does make a difference. As for using the buttermilk, that would not have been the reason they did not poof, buttermilk is an acidic ingredient, like yogurt and sour cream, it also helps tenderize the gluten in batter, giving baked goods a softer texture and more body. Plus, it helps quick breads rise. As a last resort, if they seem a bit dry after you bake them, slice warm muffin in half, poke the cut halves with a fork and spread with butter (rewarm if necessary) the butter will melt into the holes and should make it moister. Hope that even though they don't look quite how would like, that they turned out yummy anyway. I gave up on perfect looking baked goods a long time ago, as long as it tastes good.

T

Honored Contributor

Slightly less caloric/more nutritious- 2 boxes of Jiffy, 1 box chopped spinach. Prepare muffin mix, stir spinach in thoroughly, bake as per directions on box. Very moist, no strong spinach flavor, great for getting extra veggies into kids!
Honored Contributor

On 3/11/2014 Raider Fan said:

The Jiffy of 40+ years ago is not the same now. They used to be very, very good. {#emotions_dlg.crying}

Oh I still love and use Jiffy Corn Bread/Muffin mix!

I use plenty of butter on mine, which makes them moist!