Trusted Contributor

Does anyone have a cold coffee maker?

I bought one because it said if you make it this way, the coffee has less acidic tastel But when I read the instructions it said to use 8 oz of ground coffee in each pot. That is almost a whole bag of coffee. Could that be right? Is it as good as is touted? 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Does anyone have a cold coffee maker?

@geegerbee wrote:

I bought one because it said if you make it this way, the coffee has less acidic tastel But when I read the instructions it said to use 8 oz of ground coffee in each pot. That is almost a whole bag of coffee. Could that be right? Is it as good as is touted? 

Hey @geegerbee I don't drink coffee but my husband does and loves it. When we were in California, we went to a place in Oakland that he heard about that did cold brewed coffee that he went crazy over. I do think they use more coffee simply because the cold water doesn't pull out enough flavor like hot water does. My daughter is a coffee fan too and they both rave and rave over how wonderful this cold brewed coffee was, even comparing it to wine. 

I didn't realize you could buy a cold home brewing system. Do you mind telling me what brand you got? Sounds like a great idea for a present. Thanks!

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Respected Contributor

I've been making cold brew coffee for iced coffee for years now. It isn't that much different from regular coffee but it is slightly less acidic. You do not need a special maker for it.

1. Make it in a French press. I use a French press pot because I have it anyway for brewing up coffee. I have an 8 cup French press maker and you can adjust the amount of coffee to suit your own taste. I use at least a cup of ground coffee to 3 1/2 cups of water. Sometimes I even use a little more. My mother also makes cold brew coffee and she uses a little less coffee in hers, so you have to try to see what you like. All you do is put the coffee in the bottom of the French press, pour in the water, stir, pop the top  on without plunging it down and put it in the refrigerator for about 12 to 24 hours. After that time, you plunge it to press all the grounds to the bottom and then you're ready to pour it out.

2. Make it in a large pitcher or large measuring cup with pour spout. Do as above, mixing ground coffee and water in the pitcher and putting in refrigerator for putting in refrigerator for at least 12 hours, and then pouring it slowly through a strainer lined with the coffee filter into another pitcher

Either way it's simple and either way you don't need a special cold room maker. 

Respected Contributor

Sorry for iPad errors in my post just now. It makes up words.  At the end, I dictated that "you don't need a cold brew maker" and it wrote you don't need a "cold room maker." Ah, technology! 

New Contributor

Cold Brewed coffee is the best! I can't handle the acid content in hot water brewed coffee. This is the one I have - it's very easy to use and clean and makes excellent coffee.

https://toddycafe.com/shop-product/67/Toddy-Cold-Brew-System.html

Trusted Contributor

I have this one. You can buy it at the website that starts with an a and ends with an n dot come. 

Primula Pace Cold Brew Coffee Maker - Drip Proof Lid and Filter Core - Makes 65% Less Acidic Coffee Than Heat Brewed Coffee

Contributor

I have had the Toddy Brew System for years and love it.  I mix the concentrated coffee with milk and ice for a wonderful drink in the summer.

Honored Contributor

Why couldn't you put the grounds in a tea ball, and just drop it in a pitcher of water to "steep" ????

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@Desertdi

I believe a tea ball would be way too small.  You use a lot of ground coffee for the cold brew.  I've made it using the low tech method of a pitcher, straining the finished brew into another pitcher.