Esteemed Contributor

Re: Does anyone else use a Coffee Perculator

@Knit-Chick 

Yes.  We drink Goya, not that it matters, but whatever coffee you use in your percolator, you can use in the French Press.

It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well prepared you are to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Theme, Jr.
Esteemed Contributor

@tends2dogs 

Well, at least my comment wasn't removed...LOL!

It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well prepared you are to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Theme, Jr.
Esteemed Contributor

I've used Farberware Percolators for many years - until buying new ones around 5 years ago. They're now cheaply made and of the 2 I bought over the last 5 years, one lasted 2 months and the other lasted 8 months. I then tried different brands - and within a few months, they also broke down --- or the area where u plug it in corroded.

I do miss my percolators.

So I bought a 5-cup drip from Amazon. It would be fine - but the coffee comes out WARM. So then I have to put it in the microwave for 35 seconds.

How could Farberware - and other companies that made percolators - forget how to make a REAL percolator???? They're sure making lots of money - as they're worthless. Lots of complaints on-line.

If u have a Real Percolator that's been working for at least 6 months, tell me the brand. I only drink 2 cups a day (says 4 cups on the carafe) - so a 5-cup percolator would work for me.

Super Contributor

@tends2dogs we bought ours from Amazon.  it's a Coletti brand and is stovetop.  I believe it's 9 cups.  The only problem we've had is the little glass topper cracked so we had to replace it.  They sell those separately - it seems to be a common problem.

Honored Contributor

I loved the perked coffee our neighbors used to serve, so I bought one at a garage sale.  It made great coffee, but there's a problem.  No shut off after two hours and no red light.  The first time I left it on by mistake I quit using it.  I am fire-phobic.

Respected Contributor

@kivah wrote:

How could Farberware - and other companies that made percolators - forget how to make a REAL percolator???? They're sure making lots of money - as they're worthless. Lots of complaints on-line.

If u have a Real Percolator that's been working for at least 6 months, tell me the brand. I only drink 2 cups a day (says 4 cups on the carafe) - so a 5-cup percolator would work for me.

@kivah 

We've had a Farberware percolator purchased at Kohls for 5+ years.  Never had any problems and it's been used A LOT!

Esteemed Contributor

I do!  Those coffeemakers that have water reservoirs make me nervous--too much chance of bacteria building up. We use both a percolator and a french press. I recently bought this just because I like the color/aesthetic.

s-l500.jpg

Contributor

I HAVE ONE AND LOVE IT, AS WELL.  MAKES REALLY GOOD, HOT COFFEE, AND SMELLS REALLY GOOD.  I WOULDN'T HAVE ANY OTHER TYPE.

Frequent Contributor

I have had a farberware for years that makes great coffee.  But, it is hard to clean out the grinds, very messy. I use my Keurig daily because it's easier.  Are there any other percolators that aren't so messy to clean? 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've been doing Dunkin Cold Brew lately. Very Happy.

If I want hot coffee again I may try Perculator. Sounds really good!