Honored Contributor

Re: Does anyone else use a Coffee Perculator

@Knit-Chick 

Yes.  We drink Goya, not that it matters, but whatever coffee you use in your percolator, you can use in the French Press.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs 

Well, at least my comment wasn't removed...LOL!

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Esteemed Contributor

I've used Farberware Percolators for many years - until buying new ones around 5 years ago. They're now cheaply made and of the 2 I bought over the last 5 years, one lasted 2 months and the other lasted 8 months. I then tried different brands - and within a few months, they also broke down --- or the area where u plug it in corroded.

I do miss my percolators.

So I bought a 5-cup drip from Amazon. It would be fine - but the coffee comes out WARM. So then I have to put it in the microwave for 35 seconds.

How could Farberware - and other companies that made percolators - forget how to make a REAL percolator???? They're sure making lots of money - as they're worthless. Lots of complaints on-line.

If u have a Real Percolator that's been working for at least 6 months, tell me the brand. I only drink 2 cups a day (says 4 cups on the carafe) - so a 5-cup percolator would work for me.

Trusted Contributor

@tends2dogs we bought ours from Amazon.  it's a Coletti brand and is stovetop.  I believe it's 9 cups.  The only problem we've had is the little glass topper cracked so we had to replace it.  They sell those separately - it seems to be a common problem.

Honored Contributor

I loved the perked coffee our neighbors used to serve, so I bought one at a garage sale.  It made great coffee, but there's a problem.  No shut off after two hours and no red light.  The first time I left it on by mistake I quit using it.  I am fire-phobic.

Respected Contributor

@kivah wrote:

How could Farberware - and other companies that made percolators - forget how to make a REAL percolator???? They're sure making lots of money - as they're worthless. Lots of complaints on-line.

If u have a Real Percolator that's been working for at least 6 months, tell me the brand. I only drink 2 cups a day (says 4 cups on the carafe) - so a 5-cup percolator would work for me.

@kivah 

We've had a Farberware percolator purchased at Kohls for 5+ years.  Never had any problems and it's been used A LOT!

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I do!  Those coffeemakers that have water reservoirs make me nervous--too much chance of bacteria building up. We use both a percolator and a french press. I recently bought this just because I like the color/aesthetic.

s-l500.jpg

Frequent Contributor

I HAVE ONE AND LOVE IT, AS WELL.  MAKES REALLY GOOD, HOT COFFEE, AND SMELLS REALLY GOOD.  I WOULDN'T HAVE ANY OTHER TYPE.

Regular Contributor

I have had a farberware for years that makes great coffee.  But, it is hard to clean out the grinds, very messy. I use my Keurig daily because it's easier.  Are there any other percolators that aren't so messy to clean? 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've been doing Dunkin Cold Brew lately. Very Happy.

If I want hot coffee again I may try Perculator. Sounds really good!