Esteemed Contributor

Re: Does anyone cook and eat rabbit?

I know it has to do with life style, how you're raised, and what you're used to, and everyone is entitled to live how they want and certainly eat what they choose...I just can't figure out how anyone could point a gun at something like this and pull the trigger.....{#emotions_dlg.confused1}{#emotions_dlg.wub}

Super Contributor

Live in the mountains,we eat deer,bear,rabbit,squirrel,and grand hog. And frog legs when you grow up poor.you eat what you have. I grew up on indian reservation,when we got sick daddy gave us a big dose of groundhog grease,he use to keep it in a quart jar.
Trusted Contributor

On 7/6/2014 kittymomNC said:

I know it has to do with life style, how you're raised, and what you're used to, and everyone is entitled to live how they want and certainly eat what they choose...I just can't figure out how anyone could point a gun at something like this and pull the trigger.....{#emotions_dlg.confused1}{#emotions_dlg.wub}

Same way they kill Bambi. Sorry , but it doesn't ever come to "to keep from starving"- as long as there are fruits and veggies. I despise hunting season, but have many family members, who look forward to it.{#emotions_dlg.crying}

I could never hunt, but that is just me. I cried for days , when my mom killed a chicken that Grandma brought over from her farm. No way could I have ever eaten a bite.

If it can love, I can't eat it. That eliminates my ex-hubby. {#emotions_dlg.devil2} j/k {#emotions_dlg.sneaky}

You'll find my heart at the Rainbow Bridge. Smiley Sad
Esteemed Contributor

When I was very young, I lived in the country in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains. We drank milk directly from the cow, raised and killed and ate our own hogs, grew our own vegetables, and I have no idea if I ever ate a rabbit--I imagine we ate venison. For the first few years of my life we didn't have indoor plumbing, had an outside spring house to keep things cold, and a pump on the porch to pump water. Later when I was married to a hunter, I lived with a deer head on my wall named "Oscar". I didn't like it then, and I wouldn't like it now. I always asked my husband how he could look at those eyes and shoot a deer--he shot that one with a bow. Didn't understand it then and don't understand it now. That's just me.....

But just because I drank milk straight from a cow back then, and ate sausage and milk gravy made straight from the hog and the cow, doesn't mean I have to do it now. So we make our choices...I choose to live differently now because I can. As I said, everyone is entitled to live how they choose and certainly eat what they choose, and it doesn't matter how I lived when I was five, it matters to me how I live now. I can make different choices now, and I do. I love all the little wild animals, and the big ones. Anyone who wants to eat rabbit, squirrel, deer, etc. can do that and I find no fault with it whatever - I hope they enjoy it...that's their choice. If I were starving and forced to eat a rabbit, I probably would...but I still wouldn't have to like it....{#emotions_dlg.scared}{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

Esteemed Contributor

On 7/6/2014 twocent said:

Same way they kill Bambi. Sorry , but it doesn't ever come to "to keep from starving"- as long as there are fruits and veggies. I despise hunting season, but have many family members, who look forward to it.{#emotions_dlg.crying}

I could never hunt, but that is just me. I cried for days , when my mom killed a chicken that Grandma brought over from her farm. No way could I have ever eaten a bite.

If it can love, I can't eat it. That eliminates my ex-hubby. {#emotions_dlg.devil2} j/k {#emotions_dlg.sneaky}

twocent, you just gave me my laugh-out-loud moment for the day!! I totally know where you're coming from!{#emotions_dlg.devil2}{#emotions_dlg.lol}

Respected Contributor

nope, never tried it. Don't plan to either.

Trusted Contributor

On 7/6/2014 twocent said:

twocent, you just gave me my laugh-out-loud moment for the day!! I totally know where you're coming from!{#emotions_dlg.devil2}{#emotions_dlg.lol}

Wink

You'll find my heart at the Rainbow Bridge. Smiley Sad
Respected Contributor

Cook and eat rabbit

mink bunny

Trusted Contributor

Cook and eat a rabbit......I'd rather eat a cactus than do that.

NO. I would NEVER cook and eat a bunny!!!

Respected Contributor

Actually, some types of cacti are eaten...just FYI, if you are ever stranded in the desert, look for a cactus. They are a good source of water.

We used to.eat prickly pear jelly when I was a kid.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero