On 7/6/2014 BlueCollarBabe said:

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Contributor

Re: Does anyone cook and eat rabbit?

Oh yeah Italians make it with green olives carrots cele

ry and mint Stemperata Yummy

Honored Contributor

I don't think many of the women here would have made it in pioneer days. Daniel Boone wouldn't be popular here!

Super Contributor

We used to raise them and yes, we used to eat them...
Respected Contributor

On 7/5/2014 baker said:

My uncle used to raise rabbits for the meat, I tried it once and it did taste like chicken, but I could not get past the fact it was rabbit. I never ate it again.

That's my problem. I consider "bunnies", pets. {#emotions_dlg.sad}

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Respected Contributor

On 7/6/2014 Oostende said:

The very idea makes me sick. I have had house rabbits that are as much a member of the family as our dogs. Rabbits are fun, loyal, loving little companions. In temperament, they are very similar to my horses, which people also eat.

I lived in Europe for some time and I never could get used to the idea that people ate animals I consider as friends (or pets, if you prefer).

I can't help the way I feel. I hope rabbit (and horse) never become common fare over here. {#emotions_dlg.crying}

Nope. Can't eat "horse" either. No horse, no rabbit. I can't eat "pets". {#emotions_dlg.sad}

No dog, no cat either. {#emotions_dlg.scared}

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Super Contributor

On 7/6/2014 jubilant said:

I don't think many of the women here would have made it in pioneer days. Daniel Boone wouldn't be popular here!

And conversely, pioneer women would be terrified of heavy traffic, helicopters and probably flushing toilets.

Respected Contributor

On 7/6/2014 Perkup said:

We have a new crop of baby bunnies every spring, and usually at least one more crop during the summer. Right now there are three little guys eating grass in the back yard. I've tried to get them into carrots, cabbage leaves, lettuce, etc. but nothing appeals to them except the grass. I cannot in my wildest imagination see how anyone could kill and eat something so gentle and sweet.

We do feed birds, including a crow family that comes every morning about 7:00 and every evening around 5:00 for bread and peanut butter snacks. I also put out any meat we have left over (we don't eat lots of meat) for the crows. That is a major treat to them. We have at least five types of woodpeckers, including a piloted guy who loves suet.

And we have squirrels who come to the door of my office and make noise for me to bring out a handful of peanuts. They tweak the rubber gasket around the glass doors, tap on the doors with their toenails, and/or jump from a bench against the door to get attention. One will come into the door when it happens to be open, and sneak peanuts out of the bag.

For the past few years we've had a raccoon family that brings their little ones (usually three of them) in to visit twice a day. This year, they didn't come, so I suspect that the Mom has finally passed away. We miss their visits.

You warmed my heart. What a sweet post.