Esteemed Contributor

Re: Does anyone cook and eat rabbit?

On 7/6/2014 SANNA said: Brown parts of rabbit on the skillet till golden, then soute with onions and shredded carrots until veggies are tender and golden. Make sour cream,little water,spoon of flower salt,pepper souse.pour it over rabbit meat and simmer for 40 min. Enjoy with mashed potatoes! It is old French style we use in my family.

Disgusting! {#emotions_dlg.angry}A bunny with carrots even more so [think about that one]... I can not wrap my mind around that!{#emotions_dlg.lol}

Esteemed Contributor

On 7/6/2014 BlueCollarBabe said:

Kittymom, you're a good soul. My brother has a huge vegetable garden every summer and he just accepts that a part of it will go to his bunny neighbors. They do leave some for him. He refers to his garden as the "bunny salad bar". {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Love that! And so true... we have a buffet garden for our feral pet rabbits also.

Esteemed Contributor

On 7/6/2014 Matty6 said:
On 7/6/2014 BlueCollarBabe said:

Kittymom, you're a good soul. My brother has a huge vegetable garden every summer and he just accepts that a part of it will go to his bunny neighbors. They do leave some for him. He refers to his garden as the "bunny salad bar". {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Love that! And so true... we have a buffet garden for our feral pet rabbits also.

I'm bad about "my" chipmunks too. I used to try and grow tomato plants in containers on my patio, and I would see from my kitchen window a nice tomato getting ripe...then I would finally go out to pick it, mouth watering, only to find that the far side of it had been eaten already! Didn't know what was doing it until one day I saw a little chipmunk in the act! From then on, it was one tomato for the chipmunks, one for me!{#emotions_dlg.laugh} I used to have an elderly neighbor who had a big garden and kept me supplied with vegetables, but he would get upset with me (although he did laugh about it), because I kept feeding the squirrels and chipmunks in my yard, and they would go over to his garden for dessert!{#emotions_dlg.lol}

Respected Contributor

you can fricassee him Sorry another bad cartoon reference.

Respected Contributor

We have a new crop of baby bunnies every spring, and usually at least one more crop during the summer. Right now there are three little guys eating grass in the back yard. I've tried to get them into carrots, cabbage leaves, lettuce, etc. but nothing appeals to them except the grass. I cannot in my wildest imagination see how anyone could kill and eat something so gentle and sweet.

We do feed birds, including a crow family that comes every morning about 7:00 and every evening around 5:00 for bread and peanut butter snacks. I also put out any meat we have left over (we don't eat lots of meat) for the crows. That is a major treat to them. We have at least five types of woodpeckers, including a piloted guy who loves suet.

And we have squirrels who come to the door of my office and make noise for me to bring out a handful of peanuts. They tweak the rubber gasket around the glass doors, tap on the doors with their toenails, and/or jump from a bench against the door to get attention. One will come into the door when it happens to be open, and sneak peanuts out of the bag.

For the past few years we've had a raccoon family that brings their little ones (usually three of them) in to visit twice a day. This year, they didn't come, so I suspect that the Mom has finally passed away. We miss their visits.

Trusted Contributor

On 7/6/2014 BlingQueen022 said:
On 7/5/2014 kachina624 said: How is chicken over-processed and unhealthy? They kill it, clean it, cut it up and wrap it. Is that over-processing? Some people would have us eat nothing. If you're going to eat a bunny, you might as well eat a cat or a dog.
I do agree with you!

As do I.{#emotions_dlg.crying}

You'll find my heart at the Rainbow Bridge. Smiley Sad
Trusted Contributor

On 7/6/2014 Perkup said:

Can't possibly eat something that I'd rather see live and happy. Or anything I could love as a potential pet.

No rabbit, deer, doves, pheasant, etc. I also don't care for beef and won't eat lamb or veal. Actually, there's very little I will consider eating in the "meat" department. Guess I'm really close to being a vegetarian.

Same here. I could never live on a farm . Everything would be my pet. {#emotions_dlg.sad}

Respected Contributor

On 7/6/2014 Matty6 said:
On 7/6/2014 SANNA said: Brown parts of rabbit on the skillet till golden, then soute with onions and shredded https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/s/?view=att&th=1470888a2f115305&attid=0.0&disp=attd&safe=1&zwcarrot... until veggies are tender and golden. Make sour cream,little water,spoon of flower salt,pepper souse.pour it over rabbit meat and simmer for 40 min. Enjoy with mashed potatoes! It is old French style we use in my family.

Disgusting! {#emotions_dlg.angry}A bunny with carrots even more so [think about that one]... I can not wrap my mind around that!{#emotions_dlg.lol}

I am sure you eat pork. And pigs are very intelligent and very close anatomically to humans. Think about it. And besides different cultures eat different foods.
Esteemed Contributor

On 7/6/2014 Perkup said:

We have a new crop of baby bunnies every spring, and usually at least one more crop during the summer. Right now there are three little guys eating grass in the back yard. I've tried to get them into carrots, cabbage leaves, lettuce, etc. but nothing appeals to them except the grass. I cannot in my wildest imagination see how anyone could kill and eat something so gentle and sweet.

We do feed birds, including a crow family that comes every morning about 7:00 and every evening around 5:00 for bread and peanut butter snacks. I also put out any meat we have left over (we don't eat lots of meat) for the crows. That is a major treat to them. We have at least five types of woodpeckers, including a piloted guy who loves suet.

And we have squirrels who come to the door of my office and make noise for me to bring out a handful of peanuts. They tweak the rubber gasket around the glass doors, tap on the doors with their toenails, and/or jump from a bench against the door to get attention. One will come into the door when it happens to be open, and sneak peanuts out of the bag.

For the past few years we've had a raccoon family that brings their little ones (usually three of them) in to visit twice a day. This year, they didn't come, so I suspect that the Mom has finally passed away. We miss their visits.

Perkup, my little backyard "critters", from birds to chipmunks and squirrels, to the baby orphaned rabbit, and even the occasional possum, are a constant joy to me. My cats love to sit and watch them, and I put food closer to the house to attract them so the cats can watch. I always have a family of big fat Robins who love to take baths in my bird baths--I had taken a break from cutting grass yesterday, and when I went out to restart the mower, the robins were there within a few feet and did not run from me.

I also have had squirrels (they know me so well) climb up on a chair near my patio doors and sit and look in when they want some food...once the food is out, they don't come back for a while. I also once had a baby squirrel who apparently had not learned to be afraid, get so familiar with me that after several weeks, he would come and take nuts out of my hand. I actually have a closeup picture of him (had the camera in one hand and the nut in the other) with his little paw on the nut in my hand. And one little chipmunk would get within a foot of me if I sat very still and put down bits of food.

Many years ago I was married to a "hunter" - I could never understand how he could shoot a deer, much less a squirrel. We were already divorced when he took our then 9 year old son hunting, and he shot a squirrel....that was the end of his hunting days. He cried when he came home, and he has never forgotten it. And how could people eat squirrels????{#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Sometimes this love of animals is both a blessing and a curse, because I worry so much for all of them, domesticated pets or little wild creatures. But the joy they bring to one's life just goes on...... {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Trusted Contributor

On 7/6/2014 kittymomNC said:
On 7/6/2014 Perkup said:

Perkup, my little backyard "critters", from birds to chipmunks and squirrels, to the baby orphaned rabbit, and even the occasional possum, are a constant joy to me. My cats love to sit and watch them, and I put food closer to the house to attract them so the cats can watch. I always have a family of big fat Robins who love to take baths in my bird baths--I had taken a break from cutting grass yesterday, and when I went out to restart the mower, the robins were there within a few feet and did not run from me.

I also have had squirrels (they know me so well) climb up on a chair near my patio doors and sit and look in when they want some food...once the food is out, they don't come back for a while. I also once had a baby squirrel who apparently had not learned to be afraid, get so familiar with me that after several weeks, he would come and take nuts out of my hand. I actually have a closeup picture of him (had the camera in one hand and the nut in the other) with his little paw on the nut in my hand. And one little chipmunk would get within a foot of me if I sat very still and put down bits of food.

Many years ago I was married to a "hunter" - I could never understand how he could shoot a deer, much less a squirrel. We were already divorced when he took our then 9 year old son hunting, and he shot a squirrel....that was the end of his hunting days. He cried when he came home, and he has never forgotten it. And how could people eat squirrels????{#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Sometimes this love of animals is both a blessing and a curse, because I worry so much for all of them, domesticated pets or little wild creatures. But the joy they bring to one's life just goes on...... {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

{#emotions_dlg.wub}{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}