Honored Contributor

Re: Does anyone cook and eat rabbit?

I come from families who settled in this area of WV in the early 1800's----even before the separation from the state of VA. My ancestors were farmers and survived off the land. While life got a bit easier for every generation, I well remember how important hunting was to my family. My Grandpa's big 200 acre farm had a 6 acre orchard which provided all the apples, pears, cherries, peaches, and grapes we could eat. There was a 1 1/2 acre garden plot that supplied all the beans, tomatoes, peppers, corn, peas, and cucumbers we could eat. Grandma usually had at least 40 chickens roaming the property, and we were always on the watch for those hens who tried get off to themselves and build nests in the quiet of the barn, or the grainery, to lay and hatch their clutch eggs. Grandpa was one of a few farmers in this area who also raised and sold turkeys, and the farm was a busy place right before Thanksgiving. Several acres were planted in field corn that filled the corn crib in the fall, and was fed to the cows and pigs, and the number of hay bales every summer were in the thousands. I have a picture of my Grandma taken in the 1940's in the tobacco patch, and showing off the big leaves she was so proud of, and for which was likely a very good year for that crop. Grandpa ran the farm like a business, because it was essential to the survival of his family, as well as his livestock. My brothers and I were given many tasks to do to help our grandparents, and we grew up knowing that the animals were there to feed us, not be our pets. Even though my participation in farming ended in the early 70's when Grandpa died, I continue to view deer, rabbits, squirrel, pigs, cows, turkeys and chickens as a food source---not a cute pet. I have wonderful memories of Grandpa's farm and what it meant to our family, and am pleased to carry such memories in my heart. Even though meat comes to my table in a very different way now, I still enjoy and appreciate freshly killed venison, and the hunting skills of my daughters for learning the ways of their ancestors.

Honored Contributor

On 7/7/2014 RedTop said:

I come from families who settled in this area of WV in the early 1800's----even before the separation from the state of VA. My ancestors were farmers and survived off the land. While life got a bit easier for every generation, I well remember how important hunting was to my family. My Grandpa's big 200 acre farm had a 6 acre orchard which provided all the apples, pears, cherries, peaches, and grapes we could eat. There was a 1 1/2 acre garden plot that supplied all the beans, tomatoes, peppers, corn, peas, and cucumbers we could eat. Grandma usually had at least 40 chickens roaming the property, and we were always on the watch for those hens who tried get off to themselves and build nests in the quiet of the barn, or the grainery, to lay and hatch their clutch eggs. Grandpa was one of a few farmers in this area who also raised and sold turkeys, and the farm was a busy place right before Thanksgiving. Several acres were planted in field corn that filled the corn crib in the fall, and was fed to the cows and pigs, and the number of hay bales every summer were in the thousands. I have a picture of my Grandma taken in the 1940's in the tobacco patch, and showing off the big leaves she was so proud of, and for which was likely a very good year for that crop. Grandpa ran the farm like a business, because it was essential to the survival of his family, as well as his livestock. My brothers and I were given many tasks to do to help our grandparents, and we grew up knowing that the animals were there to feed us, not be our pets. Even though my participation in farming ended in the early 70's when Grandpa died, I continue to view deer, rabbits, squirrel, pigs, cows, turkeys and chickens as a food source---not a cute pet. I have wonderful memories of Grandpa's farm and what it meant to our family, and am pleased to carry such memories in my heart. Even though meat comes to my table in a very different way now, I still enjoy and appreciate freshly killed venison, and the hunting skills of my daughters for learning the ways of their ancestors.

I appreciated this post. Our ancestors lived this way and they did not hate animals. They were grateful for the nourishment they provided. I haven't eaten rabbit in a long time. I don't think they make good pets. I have had one. They sit in cages a stare for hours. What kind of life is that? That is strictly for the owners enjoyment, not necessarily the rabbit. If people don't want to eat them....that's fine. I assume everyone here who finds it cannibalistic is a vegetarian. Next thing you know, fish will be off limits. Good grief!

Respected Contributor

On 7/8/2014 jubilant said:
On 7/7/2014 RedTop said:

I appreciated this post. Our ancestors lived this way and they did not hate animals. They were grateful for the nourishment they provided. I haven't eaten rabbit in a long time. I don't think they make good pets. I have had one. They sit in cages a stare for hours. What kind of life is that? That is strictly for the owners enjoyment, not necessarily the rabbit. If people don't want to eat them....that's fine. I assume everyone here who finds it cannibalistic is a vegetarian. Next thing you know, fish will be off limits. Good grief!

But they're soft and fuzzy.

We had rabbit last night it was amazing. I marinated it in: oil, vinegar, butter, garlic blend, and seasoned salt. Threw it on the grill and ate it with spaghetti squash.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Respected Contributor

We ate wild rabbits when I was growing up, but I would not go out of my way to eat one now. However, if we were forced to hunt our own meat again, like in the last century, I probably could eat them again, as long as someone else did the killing. I don't think I could bring myself to do that.
Super Contributor

I grew up with them as a food source. You cook them just like chicken. Fry, Bake etc. Vary your diet however.