Respected Contributor

Re: Does Your Husband Cook or Help Out with the Meals?

DH does all the cooking, grocery shopping and the clean up.  He is a clean up as you go cook, so there is not much mess.  Since we are retired, he needs something to do all the time and doesnt mind the cooking duties.

We eat out a couple times a week and with just the two of us what he cooks can be eaten the second day, so there is not many days a week spent making a meal: meatloaf, beef stew, baked chicken, etc tastes better the second day.   When he makes a pan of lasagna it is two meals and still much to be frozen for lunches later.  That is how he cooks.

I am happy to sit and read but he can't sit down, must always be doing something.  

He knows I have no interest in cooking and am not a good cook.  He says when I am done cooking, the kitchen is a mess.  He requests (jokingly) that I stay out of the kitchen and that suits me fine.

When we were both working, we ate out mostly or he cooked dinner.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG 

My husband and I were married about 36 years when his mother passed.  The only thing I ever saw my in-laws eat for breakfast was meat, eggs and toast.  No gravy, no pancakes, no oatmeal, no french toast, always meat, eggs and toast.  

At least my husband is receptive to other breakfast foods in the morning as well as for supper.  

Trusted Contributor

@Regal Bee  No I do all the cooking even meal prep his bento box lunches I make for him.  I hate cooking.  I'm tired of it.  I don't eat that much and if it was just me there would be very little cooking being done.  He doesn't help with anything but he does work a lot (multiple jobs) so I understand.  He will cook his own steak because I hate steak and never had any desire to cook one.  He air fries it and says it comes out perfect.  Since I helped him lose weight he no longer even likes an occasional meal out.  So I rarely if ever get a break.  I would love it if someone made me one meal.  I envy wives with husbands who help, and occasionally cook you are blessed.  

Honored Contributor

Mine helps out by only expecting me to cook one night a week.  

Respected Contributor

When I retired eight years ago, I retired from cooking too!😅 I used to love cooking and cooked everyday! It was relaxing for me to come home and cook after work. Now, I tell Dh, I'm already relaxed! I don't even want to fry an egg!🤪 Dh now does most of the cooking, grocery shopping and dishes. He's always looking online for new recipes and loves it! He does buy way too many groceries too often though. He knows it's either he cook or we have tuna salad, eggs or peanut butter or whatever's here until the pantry and freezer are empty. And that would take awhile!😂

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Respected Contributor

I'm the husband I can cook but my wife was the main cook but she got a new job as a bus driver for a private company at first it was part time and she said she would cook in between her runs.I told her I'm home so I will cook. And now she works 12 hours and more every day. Tonight I made homemade Swedish meatballs and gear over egg noodles. I always load and unload the dishwasher even when she cooked because I like to do it and clean the kitchen. When we were moving in together 23 years ago I said to her I'm the one that's going to do laundry because I love doing it and she was perfectly fine with me doing it. Even from being young at my mom's house I was helpful around the house without being told to do anything. I'm on disability due to having multiple sclerosis  for 21 years.

Respected Contributor

@Pooky1 

Wow! Your mom did a good job when she raised you. Considering the time frame, you are a gem!💎😅

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Respected Contributor

@eadu4   I hear you.  If I had to cook there would not be much of it done.  Can you try the way DH cooks.  Make a meal one day that can just be heated up the next day.  Almost everything can be done that way and you would only have to cook every other day.

Respected Contributor

Starpolisher my brother is completely opposites. He believes everything is a woman's job.he lived with us my wife said to is it to much work to put your dirty dishes in the dishwasher. He told her that's a woman's job. My wife told my brother what she thought of him  what she thought of his comment .I can't say what she told him.

Valued Contributor

Gingerhead, sounds like us.  Ajthough after 50 years of marraiage I am beginning to wish he'd take a little more interest.  At one time he would grill but has stopped doing that.  Grands bought him a hot dog toaster for Christmas, and he will toast a dog!  

As to traditional roles he always said he would take care of the outside but that means mowing (which until retirment we used a lawn service) and clearing brush. I have taken over all the pruning and he would never think to pull a weed!  Together we open and close the pook but I always handle the chemicals.

It's just the way it is for us.