Honored Contributor

Re: Does Your Husband Cook or Help Out with the Meals?

He doesn't and I prefer it that way. He's useful in so many other ways though.

Respected Contributor

Most all my exes cooked and were good cooks.

Trusted Contributor

Ever since DH retired he took over all the cooking and meal planning.  While working he used to cook here and there as time permitted, but now I am on easy street, and I love it.

DH knows his way around the kitchen, truly enjoys the process, including shopping for ingredients for whatever he has planned.  He is an excellent cook, but, boy oh boy, he is a messy cook!!! Our arrangement - he does the cooking and I do the clean up, which I don't mind, but some days.... lol

Honored Contributor

Yes!  He does most of the food shopping and 75% of the cooking.  

Valued Contributor

I cook and hubby does the dishes . He always has done them . People say to me ," don't you want a dishwasher " .  My reply is ," I have one !

Respected Contributor

My husband doesn't really cook but he helps with prep, he is good at cutting up meat and when I make something like tacos he helps with all of the chopping, he usually does the dishes also.  He has an issue with his foot so when he isn't suppose to put weight on it he can't help as much but when he is healthy he does the dishes and vaccuming and whatever else I ask.  

Respected Contributor

@GenXmuse wrote:

He doesn't and I prefer it that way. He's useful in so many other ways though.

I was trying to decide how to answer but your answer was perfect so I will just say "Ditto!"

Honored Contributor

Occasionally he will do a big breakfast on the weekends.  He makes chicken fingers and french fries for the grandkids.  He can cook...he just doesn't.  

Honored Contributor

No, he's no cook.  He'll help a little bit by getting condiments out or making my drink, maybe stir a sauce for me if I have to step away, but no real cooking,  If push came to shove, he could make eggs and toast or a grilled cheese, but he has never been interested in creating something from a recipe or his own experiments. Our system is that I cook and he cleans up.  I'm cool with that arrangement.  I will say, though, that he was an excellent caregiver when I was recovering from surgery several years ago. I had a number of meals prepared and frozen in advance so all he had to do was thaw, reheat and zap a vegetable.  We ordered out a little bit too.  He kept up with keeping the house straight, vacuumed regularly, took care of my meds, etc. That went on for 12 weeks. 

Valued Contributor

After he retired he has always cooked his own breakfast..I'm not a breakfast person.

Even with his mind the way it is..he remembers how to do it. So I won't stop him.

Of course I stay in the kitchen to make sure the stove is off.