Respected Contributor

Re: Does DH/SO Do Something In the Kitchen

My wonderful DH does 95% of the meal planning and cooking.  But he is inacapable of closing a kitchen cabinet door.  I go in there and the cabinet doors are all open. It is really kinda funny.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

My husband puts everything away on the top shelf of the refrigerator.   The middle and bottom shelves can be empty, while 42 items are stacked two deep on the top shelf!   It drives me nuts!   

He also cooks like his mother, on S-L-O-W speed.   If he’s cooking potatoes to mash, he will peel the potatoes, rinse, and put them on the stovetop to cook, on low!   I have the heat on high, bring the pot to a boil, then turn it down on a medium level to cook.  He doesn’t understand how long it takes for that pot to get hot enough to boil the water.  

I often walk into the kitchen when he’s making a grilled cheese sandwich and the skillet is on a medium low setting, which prompts me to ask him if he’s planning to eat the sandwich before bedtime?

His mother took forever to get a meal on the table, and watching her cook drove me crazy.   Same with her son.  

Esteemed Contributor

I swore I was going to make signs for every room:

If you drop it, pick it up;

If you get it out, put it away;

If you make a mess, clean it up;

If you empty it, throw it away

Honored Contributor

@Peaches McPhee :  Yep- cabinet doors, drawers, closet doors etc. Enter any room slowly and look  around  first. I can always tell if DH has been in any room. Don’t even get me started on the refrigerator- DH never tightens lids back on items because he might want more. I have to  really check the milk to keep it from spoiling. Can’t change him- Southern Bee

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 : Thanks- so true and I cannot stop laughing. Southern Bee 

Honored Contributor

The thing that has driven me bat s**t crazy all my life and I'm 71, is people putting dishes with leftover food on them IN THE DISHWATER without scraping the leftovers off!

The first and only time my DH did this, I told him I can't stand this and we agreed either he'd scrape the plate or just stack it on the sink and I would take care of it!

Worked great for us!! He was great about doing just about any chores, and that's how our DS was raised, for which my DIL **still** thanks me LOL!

Esteemed Contributor

Ahhhh     Enjoyed all your postings but re-affirms why I don't want to get married again.....and can't say I had daily annoyances - but husband did blow up and couple of eggs in our first and new microwave.  Never could get that back wall to look the same. 

Respected Contributor

No complaints from me.  DH does the cooking and cleans up as he goes.  Doesn't want me to help as I make a mess.  Suits me fine.

Honored Contributor

Mine never cooks when I'm here when I'm not he's on his own--but the one thing he does and drives me crazy.

I wash up pots & pans (and whatever doesn't go in dishwasher) let them air dry -- he insists on putting them away in the AM.  That's fine but they are never put in the right place😯🤬.  Worse part, he knows where they go but puts them where he "thinks" they should go!

Oh well...

Trusted Contributor

First, thanks to all who gave me a real good chuckle!!

Oh, let me count the ways my husband perturbs me in the kitchen!  He leaves his wet used tea bags on the counter, he leaves wadded up paper towels all over the counters...guess they are too heavy to carry to the garbage?!  He also leaves cabinet doors open.  At night when I'm standing at the stove cooking, he MUST get into the cupboard by the stove, of course, to take his daily vitamins.  He can't do that any other hour or minute of the day...ONLY when I'm at the stove cooking.

But that's mainly the only room in which he irks me, so I can live with it (gritting teeth!)