Honored Contributor

Does Anyone Have Nice Green Beans Yet?

Love fresh green beans, not the type that have a lot of the bean part, but the green part.  Unfortunately, our store has partnered with a local farmer that does a young green bean that you could just steam in the frying pan-the width is still smaller than your little finger.

To string these beans is SO labor intensive, but they're often a favorite vegetable with everyone.

I really prefer a flat bean called "pole beans".  Last spring they were just over $3.00 at Publix which I don't usually shop.

pole beans.

Green Bean Plant: Care and Growing Guide

Respected Contributor

Re: Does Anyone Have Nice Green Beans Yet?

I am in Central Illinois and our local green beans are not mature yet.  I get my local ones from a farm here.  They are organic and are the best green beans I have ever eaten.  I buy a bag every week they are available and pig out on them!😊😊😊. I do not know what variety they are but they are amazingly delicious.  

I did get a bag of organic green beans on my last Costco run.  They are pretty good.  

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Respected Contributor

We planted green beans last year in our garden for the first time.  They did so poorly we didn't even bother this year.  I live in the Southeast.

Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG  Way too early here in eastern PA. I usually plant Burpee bush beans, like Bush Blue Lake 47. They are not flat and are considered string beans, but you don't string them. There is nothing better than fresh picked green beans steamed with butter and salt for just a few minutes!

Honored Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@ECBG  Way too early here in eastern PA. I usually plant Burpee bush beans, like Bush Blue Lake 47. They are not flat and are considered string beans, but you don't string them. There is nothing better than fresh picked green beans steamed with butter and salt for just a few minutes!

@PA Mom-mom LOVE fresh green beans with fresh sliced tomatoes!!!Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Pole Beans - by chance to give them a try last year at Farmer's Market.........I fell in love.  Now regular string ones have taken second place on my plate.....but fresh ones still welcome for dinner any time.

Honored Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

Pole Beans - by chance to give them a try last year at Farmer's Market.........I fell in love.  Now regular string ones have taken second place on my plate.....but fresh ones still welcome for dinner any time.

@fthunt Thank you.  I plan to.  We always have a freeze here around Mother's Day and family gardens are told to wait to plant.  I don't know about big farms.

Honored Contributor

Without a greenhouse, fresh vegetables in WV don't happen until late June or July. In my area, potatoes get planted Memorial Day weekend, followed by beans and corn around June 1st, depending on the almanac.
Respected Contributor

I love, love, love Pole Beans.. I haven't had them in years though.  

Honored Contributor

The only nice green beans I've found here have been frozen ones in a bag.  I think I buy the petite green beans by Birds Eye.  They are very nice and do well in the one green bean dish I make from time to time.