Trusted Contributor

Re: Does Anyone Have Franciscan Ivy China?

FYI

Tips on Using
Franciscan Dinnerware and Art Pottery
Lead Issues

All manufactories of dinnerware in the United States are required by Federal legislation since the late 1980's to use lead free glazes. Since the manufacturers of Franciscan used a high fire one fire process, the lead in the glaze has been considered stable.

Lead is an issue when it can be "leached" from pottery by using an acidic liquid and letting it stand. We do not advise you to store any food in Franciscan, just to be extra safe. Also, this will prevent any staining to your pottery.

Franciscan ware made after 1990 is lead-free. If you have any concerns about lead in dishware, use vintage pottery for display only.

Microwave Use

Not recommended. Pieces marked "Microwave safe" can be used in the microwave.

Dishwasher

It is advisable to cut the detergent 1/2. Most manufacturers advise to use more than is necessary for clean and sanitary dishes. Most dishwasher soaps are made from TSP, which will dull the glaze on most Franciscan.

Fine China with gold or silver bands can be put into the dishwasher, however do not dry with the dishwasher as the heat will melt the banding leaving marks. After the dishes have been washed, open up the dishwasher and let dry on the racks. Hand washing fine china with gold or silver bands is recommended.

Oven Use

All ovens must be cold when placing Franciscan into them. Turn the heat on only after placing the pottery in the oven. If you put the pottery in a hot oven they will break or crack. Franciscan was advertised to be "oven-safe." if you use this precaution. Using Franciscan ware in the oven is not recommended.

Super Contributor

As a not-too-long married many many years ago, and after buying our first home, we treated ourselfs to the Apple pattern. We purchased 6 place settings and many other pieces from Franciscan maker near Los Angeles. Got it home, all washed up and in the cupboard. About 2 weeks later came the  1971 San Fernando earthquake. We had 2 coffee cups and a soup bowl left. I was so upset. We didn't replace it.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ECBG wrote:

@SandySparkles wrote:

@ECBG  Thank you! I had a wonderful Easter dinner with family. It took much longer to prepare than originally planned, because I decided to bake a caramel apple pie at the last minute. It was worth it though, because it was enjoyed by all😁.

I love shopping Etsy too, and am so glad you were able to find some unique treasure!. They sound lovely, and I'm sure your sister will love them too! Enjoy!!!😊

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

@SandySparkles Thank you!  If that's your picture in the avatar, you might love the skirts I just put up in Outfit of the Day.  Also, if you don't mind, I'd love to have your pie recipe.  Sounds scrumptious!!!Smiley Happy

@ECBG  It was scrumptious! I actually combined three recipes. I used Cooks Country flaky pie crust recipe, Tyler Florence's caramel apple pie recipe for the filling, and  Pillsbury crumble topping for their apple slab pie, and I drizzled a small amount of the homemade caramel on top. (Whew).

Yeah, that's me cheesin'. I posted another pic once in Outfit of the day, sometime in late fall or early winter I believe. My wig was almost as big as I am.😂😂 I was so inspired by your impeccable sense of style, I sheepishly posted this one😁

Skirt & fur pic.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG  I just visited Outfit of the Day, and saw two skirts you posted that I LOVE. I have a pink (my favorite color) one that is similar to that by Linea, and a coral colored one from Dress Barn. I'll wear one soon and post a pic, if I can gather up enough nerve😁. I would love to see a pic of the place mats you found on Etsy.😊

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Honored Contributor

@SandySparkles wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@SandySparkles wrote:

@ECBG  Thank you! I had a wonderful Easter dinner with family. It took much longer to prepare than originally planned, because I decided to bake a caramel apple pie at the last minute. It was worth it though, because it was enjoyed by all😁.

I love shopping Etsy too, and am so glad you were able to find some unique treasure!. They sound lovely, and I'm sure your sister will love them too! Enjoy!!!😊

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

@SandySparkles Thank you!  If that's your picture in the avatar, you might love the skirts I just put up in Outfit of the Day.  Also, if you don't mind, I'd love to have your pie recipe.  Sounds scrumptious!!!Smiley Happy

@ECBG  It was scrumptious! I actually combined three recipes. I used Cooks Country flaky pie crust recipe, Tyler Florence's caramel apple pie recipe for the filling, and  Pillsbury crumble topping for their apple slab pie, and I drizzled a small amount of the homemade caramel on top. (Whew).

Yeah, that's me cheesin'. I posted another pic once in Outfit of the day, sometime in late fall or early winter I believe. My wig was almost as big as I am.😂😂 I was so inspired by your impeccable sense of style, I sheepishly posted this one😁

Skirt & fur pic.jpg

@SandySparkles How pretty!  It must be cold where you are. You look just like a model!  Love your mantel and room as well.

As you know, DB closed.  I have a close, close friend who is an asst mgr. at work that was the top store mgr at the DB outlet.  I don't manage.  I had enough "stuff" teaching.  My area is color and styling.  I'm the only one with an actual design degree.  The others have worked up from sales backgrounds.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Re: Does Anyone Have Franciscan Ivy China?

[ Edited ]

@ECBG Thank you for such a nice compliment, but it's all hocus pocus😁. Your design education certainly shines through because all the pics that I have seen of your home decor, or  fashions that you model, are so nicely done! You always look so pretty and well put together. I need to visit Outfit of the Day more often, because it is such a positive thread.

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Honored Contributor

@SandySparkles I tried to pull up your name in the drop down while I was in Outfit Of The Day, but it won't highlight!Smiley Sad

I posted a new pic of Shadow on there.