Esteemed Contributor

Does Anyone Have Big Sunday Dinners.....

for the whole family 52 weeks a year?  After watching a dinner scene from Blue Bloods it got me wondering. We have 2 kids and they both work a long week, and have things to do on the weekend, and I would never expect them to be here every Sunday.

My husband has several siblings and if we all got together with kids and grandkids it would be close to 35/40 people. It would be like a holiday dinner every week.

Honored Contributor

Re: Does Anyone Have Big Sunday Dinners.....

@CrazyKittyLvr2 .  My one sibling and her family live four hours away and the other sibling and her family live in Australia. So that would be a ‘No’.

Esteemed Contributor

My brother comes every Sunday unless, illness or vacation or roads are bad. Here’s the funny thing he’s in and out in 20 minutes. He takes dessert to go. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Honored Contributor

It’s been a very long time since I had one of those. In this 24 7 world we live in , people work all of the time.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Trusted Contributor

My 80 year old mom still makes big Sunday dinners every weekend.

It's a potluck on how many of us sibling show up.  She'd kill me if I didn't come.

I'll always love my mama for feeding me !

Honored Contributor

No and it's not something I'd want to do every week, whether I was hosting or not. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Trusted Contributor

Growing up, my brother, mother and I lived with my maternal grandparents and Sunday dinner was always special....in fact, we ate together at the dinner table every night. I miss those days. My DH and I eat dinner at the table every night and when our son and grandkids visit, we eat at the table....I cherish those dinners....seems like folks are just too busy anymore...

Esteemed Contributor

My parents host a family dinner every Sunday and anyone who is able attends. We all check in with my mom on Wednesdays to let her know whether we're coming and find out what we can contribute. There's no obligation to go—just an invitation to join if you'd like to do so. Some family members live too far away to come more than a few times a year, and all of us have occasional scheduling conflicts, so the combination of people changes quite a bit from week to week. I feel very fortunate that my family members all get along so well; in many of my friends' families, this arrangement would never work.

Esteemed Contributor

My maternal Grandparents lived with us so they, along with my parents, sister and I ate dinner together every night and Sundays were a big meal after church.

Honored Contributor

That would be nice to have family dinners to get together. All my brothers & sisters live in other states so it's not going to happen for me.

Some of DH's family lives here but if we decided to start doing that we would be the ones doing all the cooking.

Wished I lived around my sisters so we could get together. At this point we will all be dead before that happens. I sure did waste my life living here.