Esteemed Contributor

Re: Does Anyone Have Big Sunday Dinners.....

@CrazyKittyLvr2 thanks for taking me back in time. Thoughout my childhood in the 70s, I lived in Pueto Rico, and every Sunday my paternal grandmother had an open invitation for all 9 of her children and their families (more than 2 dozen of us) to stop by for a mid afternoon meal.  this is what we did on Sundays, we chatted and ate, watched sports on tv, played games, I don't remember ever running out of food. I think the large family is what made the event.  My parents divorced and my mother did not like to go or take us (my sisters and I) anymore, so I stopped attending.  But this is one of my favorite things about my childhood.

Respected Contributor

@Sooner 

I hate to gloat but I will.   It's 54 in Santa Fe.   I think you are in OK?   After the crazy winter we've had here, I think it's OK for me to gloat.  Stay warm.

Esteemed Contributor

When my mil was alive she used to cook a big Italian dinner every Sunday for us.Unless we were sick or on vacation we were there.It was a wonderful time to visit & catch up!! I miss those days !!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Never did have big family dinners growing up or after I married.  My Mom always made a "Sunday dinner", but my parents worked on Sunday so it was just for us in that house--no company and no going to relatives for dinner.  DH and I just had dinners with our children and invited my Mother often.  His family went out on Sundays and never changed their plans.

Respected Contributor

My former Mother in Law always made Sunday Dinner. She was one of 15 children and had 9 of her own, who almost all had families of their own.  She would stay home and cook while my FIL and the rest of the family (the ones who would go, mostly the grand kids) attended church.  Everyone would sit at the table in shifts, inhale their food and take off, or if it was football season, watch the Patrots get pummeled.

She would always make two main dishes. A roast Beef or Pork  and a Poultry or Pasta. And 3 or 4 pies, or a cake and cookies. Most of her food was over-cooked and bland, Veg-All and mashed spuds (sometimes from a box)  but they loved it. The desserts were great.

I always helped with the clean-up; she didnt want anyone in her way while she cooked. 

After my ex and i split up i heard she still did Sunday Dinners well into her late '70s.

Honored Contributor

We eat light on Sunday but I know a family that gathers every Sunday for a meal at Grandma's house. She cooks large portions and doesn't demand everyone attend, but it is strongly encouraged.

Honored Contributor

@Bridgegal wrote:

@Sooner 

I hate to gloat but I will.   It's 54 in Santa Fe.   I think you are in OK?   After the crazy winter we've had here, I think it's OK for me to gloat.  Stay warm.

@Bridgegal LOL!  You do have the right to gloat!  YES you do!  You live in a beautiful city with so much great art and jewelry.  I haven't been there in a long time! Woman Frustrated  Enjoy every minute of it!

Respected Contributor

If I lived in the same town as my mother, I’m sure she’s come for dinner every Sunday. I cook every Sunday, usually it’s to have leftovers for the week.
Trusted Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2   My brother and his family all gather at his house for Sunday dinner.  We sometimes join them, and I would more often if we didn't live over an hour away.   I lovingly refer to them as " The Waltons" from the tv series.

Valued Contributor

i don't, but my grandmother did. i miss her cooking.

my mom did her own version of sunday dinner
it was on monday and it was only my moms friends.

everyone cooked 1 or 2 things in bulk.
they did it because many worked on sunday and all had kids, so, they would mix and match the food to make a variety of meals to take home.

that way no one had to cook everything, every week.

for example, someone would cook bbq chicken and some type of flavored rice
and someone else would cook something green and meatloaf and so on.

then they would split everything up between whoever showed up.

i suspect this worked because they could all cook everything well.

i remember people wanted to get in on it, but my mom and others would tell them no, that they had enough people.

the truth was that those people could not cook anywhere near as well.

i have thought about doing this once or twice, but couldn't come up with enough people whose food i would eat.

i think tons of people have stopped sunday supper, because they think they are to busy to cook. they are too busy doing nothing productive on the weekend. LOL

it's a shame.

it doesn't have to be EVERY week, even once a month would be cool.
and it doesn't have to be family, it could be neighbors and friends.

then, there are tons of people that can't even cook the basics, these days.

this is a great question. made me smile and remember some good times and some fabulous food!

thanks @CrazyKittyLvr2   for thinking about this and posting the question