Honored Contributor

Re: Does Anyone Do Creamed Onions Any More?

My Grandmother made them every Thanksgiving. They were always eaten up. I found the frozen pearl onions last year and had a recipe for the sauce. Never made them as there was a disaster with the turkey.

Honored Contributor

@CJC wrote:

Two side dishes my mom always made for our big Christmas Day dinner in the 50's thru mid 70's were creamed onions and escolloped oysters. I disliked both.....typical teen....

Had an uncle, a physician, who loved the oysters, but he was too fugal to allow his wife to buy them, so always looked forward to my mom's dinner. 😉. Still have my mom's recipes for both dishes, but I've never made them myself. 

@CJC 

May I please have your creamed onions please?Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Never had them. Weren't a Thanksgiving dish for us. They do sound like an old timey dish from the 50's, as some have said here. Growing up in an Italian American family, just wouldn't have been a staple for us...although maybe it was for some.

Speaking of those small "cocktail onions", they are hard to find these days. I did find a frozen bag a few years ago. I use them when making meatloaf, my mom's recipe was to make the meatloaf in a casserole dish surrounded by carrots, peas, and those onions. These days I just cut up a regular onion, but I love it best with those little round ones, like I remember the dish...all baked together. 😋

Honored Contributor

@fancy pantsy wrote:

my mother used to make them at thanksgiving, and i hadn't thought of them in a long time, but a few years ago, i made them to have with our thanksgiving, but i'm afraid there was way too much other food and they were hardly touched.  they were good though. 

@fancy pantsy Do you have the recipe please?Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@amyb wrote:

Never had them. Weren't a Thanksgiving dish for us. They do sound like an old timey dish from the 50's, as some have said here. Growing up in an Italian American family, just wouldn't have been a staple for us...although maybe it was for some.

Speaking of those small "cocktail onions", they are hard to find these days. I did find a frozen bag a few years ago. I use them when making meatloaf, my mom's recipe was to make the meatloaf in a casserole dish surrounded by carrots, peas, and those onions. These days I just cut up a regular onion, but I love it best with those little round ones, like I remember the dish...all baked together. 😋

@amyb 

I'm very interested.  Baked?  Since mine at the restaurant had no browned top, I thought the small drained onions were just added to the white sauce.

Respected Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@amyb wrote:

@amyb 

I'm very interested.  Baked?  Since mine at the restaurant had no browned top, I thought the small drained onions were just added to the white sauce.

Didn't mean to confuse you. I've never made creamed onions. I was just mentioning I try to find those small onions to make my meatloaf with, which I bake along with carrots, peas and onions as my mom always did. She always used those small onions, but I can't always find them anymore. 

Honored Contributor

I've never eaten creamed onions and am not aware of anyone in my family ever making this dish.  

However, it is a rare day when we don't use 1 or 2 onions in this house.   Right now there are 100 lbs of onions in my garage!   

Honored Contributor

@amyb wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@amyb wrote:

@amyb 

Didn't mean to confuse you. I've never made creamed onions. I was just mentioning I try to find those small onions to make my meatloaf with, which I bake along with carrots, peas and onions as my mom always did. She always used those small onions, but I can't always find them anymore. 

@amyb 

I get them in about an 8 oz glass jar in the canned vegetable area at my store.  I guess people put them on a tooth pick for drinks.  I've been using them after draining.

Respected Contributor

My mother used to make these to serve with Sunday dinners. I loved them, but DH and DS don't care for them, so I don't make them anymore. I do make a sweet and tangy version that they like. I use thawed pearl onions instead of fresh. They're so much easier (and much less teary) than fresh! 

Super Contributor

I'm 81 yrs old and remember my grandmother making creamed peas and onions.  It was one of my favorites when visiting my grandparents.  I think they were both fresh from the garden and yes they were the pearl onions.  I don't recall having them since she passed away in the 60's at 99 yrs old.