Honored Contributor

Re: Does Anyone Celebrate a St. Joseph's Table???

My 1/2 Italian roots are from Northern Italy. Our family never did St. Joseph's table. My boss is from Sicilian roots...his family does a table BIG time! Wish they'd invite me...

Hey terrier...I wanted to tell you that I made your suggested method of cooking the corned beef last Saturday. I make 2 every year. I did one in the crock but made the other w/ your version of the Wegman's instructions. LOVED IT! Thank you for sharing. I'll be honest, I was worried about putting it in the oven for fear of drying it out but it was fantastic. I lined the pan w/ foil and did add a big ladle full of the simmering liquid before putting it in the oven. I didn't want to waste the wine! I had never heard of wine for corned beef, beer yes, but white wine no. I found this meat to be easier to cut (the slow crock version always kinda shreds a bit from being waterlogged like you said.) The one cooked your way sliced just beautifully. The fat did sear and melt down like you said. Towards the end, I did cover it with foil but I wasn't sure if you did that or not.

Thanks again! I couldn't find where you posted it or I would have said thank you there. Don't mean to take your thread here off track but wanted my fellow Buffaloian to know it was great!

Super Contributor

I'm Sicilian and, yes, it originated in Sicily. People who prayed to St.Joseph and had favors granted promised to put out a St. Joseph Table and open their homes to any and all people. It is totally meatless, traditional foods are lots of fish, sfinges (delicious fried dough), a specially made bread, hence, St. Joseph's bread which is blessed, fennel, and other items. My grandmother used to have a table. WNY is very big on this feast day! Reva

Honored Contributor

On 3/17/2015 RespectLife said:

My 1/2 Italian roots are from Northern Italy. Our family never did St. Joseph's table. My boss is from Sicilian roots...his family does a table BIG time! Wish they'd invite me...

Hey terrier...I wanted to tell you that I made your suggested method of cooking the corned beef last Saturday. I make 2 every year. I did one in the crock but made the other w/ your version of the Wegman's instructions. LOVED IT! Thank you for sharing. I'll be honest, I was worried about putting it in the oven for fear of drying it out but it was fantastic. I lined the pan w/ foil and did add a big ladle full of the simmering liquid before putting it in the oven. I didn't want to waste the wine! I had never heard of wine for corned beef, beer yes, but white wine no. I found this meat to be easier to cut (the slow crock version always kinda shreds a bit from being waterlogged like you said.) The one cooked your way sliced just beautifully. The fat did sear and melt down like you said. Towards the end, I did cover it with foil but I wasn't sure if you did that or not.

Thanks again! I couldn't find where you posted it or I would have said thank you there. Don't mean to take your thread here off track but wanted my fellow Buffaloian to know it was great!

I'm glad you liked the corned beef...we can both thank Wegmans for the hint!

I got their corned beef Reuben sandwiches on marbled rye for lunch today...another winner! The poor woman making the sandwiches was next to a live Irish band...that was playing VERY LOUD! She said she took two aspirin before she came to work today!

Trusted Contributor

I lived in Buffalo in the 1980s and learned about St. Joseph's day then, although I am Italian, not Sicilian.

I loved all the late winter holidays celebrated in that area - St. Pats (today), St. Joseph's and please let's not forget Dyngus Day on the day after Easter!

Lots of delicious food everywhere! Say what you will about the death of the 'Rust Belt", the people and celebrations of WNY can't be beat.

Respected Contributor

I am Sicilan, grew up in a neighborhood of the same, there were many St Josephs tables in homes there, the reason being they were being thankful for something they were given or asking for something, the food was bountiful & delicious, you could give a donation or not, it was one of the best things of my childhood

Respected Contributor

No...but I LOOOOOOVE St. Joseph pastry!!

I'm full on Italian and never heard of St. Joseph's Day until my cousin opened her bakery....and that was about 10 years ago.

"People with closed hearts will always feel as though they are at war with the world." ~My friend Nancy
Trusted Contributor

We always celebrated St Joseph's Day when I was in grade school. I went to a Polish Catholic school and we wore red on St Joseph's Day.

Jessa
Honored Contributor

On 3/17/2015 Sammijo said:

I lived in Buffalo in the 1980s and learned about St. Joseph's day then, although I am Italian, not Sicilian.

I loved all the late winter holidays celebrated in that area - St. Pats (today), St. Joseph's and please let's not forget Dyngus Day on the day after Easter!

Lots of delicious food everywhere! Say what you will about the death of the 'Rust Belt", the people and celebrations of WNY can't be beat.

What a nice thing to say, Sammijo! Made me smile that I am still stuck...I mean LIVE, here in WNY! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Believe it or not...I am making my first trip to the Broadway market this Saturday. This is an Easter/Lenten tradition I have been trying to get to for YEARS! Can't believe I have never gone.

I am dying for a good Polish Sausage and will hopefully find some there. It seems to allude me here in the north towns. I can find all kinds of delicious Italian sausage...but not Polish. Any WNYers have a suggestion?

Super Contributor

On 3/17/2015 JESSA said:

We always celebrated St Joseph's Day when I was in grade school. I went to a Polish Catholic school and we wore red on St Joseph's Day.

JESSA my Mom also went to Polish Catholic School. I can remember her telling me she had all of her subjects in English and Polish!! I know when everyone was talking about St Pat's Day she would always say ""Don't forget March 19 is St. Joseph's Day"". Boy does that bring back a lot of fond memories. Miss her soooo much!!.

Respected Contributor

March 19, St Josephs Day, is also the day the swallows return to Capistrano...