Trusted Contributor

Re: Does Anyone Celebrate a St. Joseph's Table???

On 3/18/2015 RespectLife said:
On 3/17/2015 Sammijo said:

I lived in Buffalo in the 1980s and learned about St. Joseph's day then, although I am Italian, not Sicilian.

I loved all the late winter holidays celebrated in that area - St. Pats (today), St. Joseph's and please let's not forget Dyngus Day on the day after Easter!

Lots of delicious food everywhere! Say what you will about the death of the 'Rust Belt", the people and celebrations of WNY can't be beat.

What a nice thing to say, Sammijo! Made me smile that I am still stuck...I mean LIVE, here in WNY! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Believe it or not...I am making my first trip to the Broadway market this Saturday. This is an Easter/Lenten tradition I have been trying to get to for YEARS! Can't believe I have never gone.

I am dying for a good Polish Sausage and will hopefully find some there. It seems to allude me here in the north towns. I can find all kinds of delicious Italian sausage...but not Polish. Any WNYers have a suggestion?

Love the Broadway market! You will enjoy all the sights and aromas. Thanks for bringing back that memory. Make sure to get your butter lamb as well as sausage. Happy St. Joseph's day all and remember to wear red.
Honored Contributor

YES! Sammijo! A butter lamb! Thanks for reminding me!! I have never gotten one. Every year I see those lambs on a TV spot and think how cute they are.

I wish I would have started some of these traditions for Easter when my kids were little.

Regular Contributor

yes my mom's family made the food years ago. She made the spaghetti with the bread crumbs, orange rind, raisins, & olive oil. Also I loved the cavazones, a pastry filled with a chick pea & honey filling.

The church where my grandparents went to & parents got married still has a big St Joseph Day feast dinner. Tickets sell fast, it's always a big hit!

Honored Contributor

On 3/18/2015 Mothertrucker said:

Me too, Southern California.. You have never heard of the swallows at Mission San Juan Capistrano?

The swallows, yes I have heard of that! If I hadn't heard of that in MY family, I would sure to be scolded My great grandfather, settled in San Juan Capistrano when it was a Spanish territory. My grandfather and 11 of his siblings were raised there. Some of my father's family is still there (never left), and heads up the parade sometimes. There are a couple streets named after him. I think my great grandfathers home was moved to make way for the freeway eventually. But Saint Joseph's table no, I hadn't heard of it.. I am not Catholic, but am familiar with many Saints feasts. I had just never heard of it put as,Saint Joseph's Table. I think my post was confused? Because as I understand it, Saint Joseph's Table is celebrated everywhere, not exclusively in SJC. SJC is so beautiful and one of the greatest cities in California

I think I did not word my question right. I was asking about Saint Joseph's Table, not SJC, sorry!