Esteemed Contributor

Does Anyone Bake w/ Avocado Oil?

[ Edited ]

I'm just wondering how things turn out?

Valued Contributor

Re: Does Anyone Bake w/ Avocado Oil?

Not with avocado oil, but with olive oil and things come out great. Don't know if there is much difference. 

Trusted Contributor

Compared to olive oil, avocado is quite neutral tasting and should work very well. I've only occasionally used it in pancakes and things like that. I'd use it more, but it's pretty expensive to use in quantity.

I keep butter, EVOO, and avocado in my house. Stopped buying other oils--if these don't work in a recipe, I don't make that recipe. Ya gotta draw the line somewhere, right? Well, I do occasionally have a bit of schmaltz...

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I bought popcorn made with Avocado oil. I was hoping that it would not taste like Avocado and I'm surprised that it didn't. It actually tasted good.

According to @KaySD  avocado oil is quite neutual tasting.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Good to know! I was wondering myself.

Trusted Contributor

I use avocado oil if I do not want olive oil taste.  My daughter says it's healthier than grapeseed oil, which is what I used before. Not sure she's right.

Honored Contributor

Got this from Cooks Ilustrated:

Some cooks have started bypassing olive oil and reaching for avocado oil instead. The fact that it's rich in healthy fats and antioxidants, with a nutritional profile similar to that of olive oil, is likely part of the attraction, but we wanted to know how it performed in recipes.

Food-grade avocado oil comes in two forms: cold-pressed extra-virgin or refined. Tasted plain, the extra-virgin avocado oil had a pleasant buttery, grassy flavor similar to that of the fresh fruit. Those understated flavors were a bit hard to detect when we subbed it for extra-virgin olive oil in vinaigrette. Instead, we'd recommend using it as a finishing oil for drizzling over mild-tasting foods such as fish.

As for the refined avocado oil, its neutral taste made it a seamless swap for vegetable oil in chiffon cake and for frying doughnuts. Its smoke point can also go as high as 500 degrees—higher than any other cooking oil—which makes it a good choice for searing or sautéing.

In sum: Use extra-virgin avocado oil as you would a premium extra-virgin olive oil and reserve it for drizzling. The refined stuff will work well in any application that calls for a neutral-tasting oil (but note that it will cost a lot more—the refined avocado oil we tasted from Wellesley Farms costs $0.32 per ounce, compared with $0.12 per ounce for our favorite vegetable oil from Crisco).

Valued Contributor

I've not baked with it, but I have used it in stove top frying as a neutral oil and have been happy with the results.

Honored Contributor

I haven’t yet, but wouldn’t hesitate if I had a recipe that called for oil.  The fat in my baking these days is melted butter. 

Esteemed Contributor

All that zucchini in the other thread made me try it in the cake/bread. (I'll post the recipe over there.) But it turned out quite well.

@rms1954  I appreciate knowing the differences in the kinds of avocado oil....I picked up the extra virgin yesterday, then I spotted your response. Oh well! Next time I'll look for the other, cause I wanted it primarily for baking (not that I do all that much baking these days.) But it is just fine & dandy in the zucchini bread/cake.