Honored Contributor

Re: Doctor recommended Buckwheat pancakes ??

My maternal grandfather loved buckwheat pancakes, and as a child I quickly learned "pancakes" at Papaws house was not the same pancakes we had at home. A gallon of syrup wouldn't be enough to get me to eat one of Papaws heavy, dark pancakes! I have Papaws handwritten recipe for his buckwheat cakes, and remember watching him make the batter with his special buckwheat flour and molasses. If he was going to eat buckwheat cakes on Saturday, he made the batter late on Thursday, covered the bowl with a clean dish towel, and left it in a warm spot in the kitchen to ferment until it was used on Saturday---the mixture was never refrigerated.
Respected Contributor

Oh Red Top, how I can relate!

And while i wanted the crispy curly edged bacon like my friends had for breakfast, MY Dad always had a "slab" of bacon, which he would slice for us, it was never very thin nor ever very crisp.. but I would KILL for it now!

Honored Contributor

If it turns out you don't care for buckwheat pancakes, you could try eating your regular ones with less frequency.

Honored Contributor

Mothertrucker, slab bacon was most definitely awesome! My dad and paternal grandfather raised hogs, so there was no store bought pork in our house until I was in high school. About 3 years ago, a friend of ours raised a hog, butchered it, and shared the bacon with us. Sadly, our taste buds were extremely disappointed, as it tasted nothing at all like the slab bacon we ate years ago.
Respected Contributor

I usually make a lot of waffles and eat them through out the week. I may try buckwheat/sourdough.

LOL, when I think of buckwheat I think of those pillows they used to sell years ago. They were horrible.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Respected Contributor

On 3/22/2015 RedTop said: Mothertrucker, slab bacon was most definitely awesome! My dad and paternal grandfather raised hogs, so there was no store bought pork in our house until I was in high school. About 3 years ago, a friend of ours raised a hog, butchered it, and shared the bacon with us. Sadly, our taste buds were extremely disappointed, as it tasted nothing at all like the slab bacon we ate years ago.

We COULD be sisters, and not know it!LOL!

Respected Contributor

On 3/22/2015 debc said:

I usually make a lot of waffles and eat them through out the week. I may try buckwheat/sourdough.

LOL, when I think of buckwheat I think of those pillows they used to sell years ago. They were horrible.

When I make waffles and pancakes for the week, I freeze them to heat in the toaster.They come out crunchy and great! Plus way cheaper that Eggos and frozen pancakes. I'm about to eat pancakes again this morning for a late breakfast/early dinner. Oh this thread!

Trusted Contributor

Love buckwheat pancakes! I first tried them at a little diner not far from my neighborhood several years ago. Then they closed and reopened in a new location and I haven't been back yet. I need to get over there and see if they still have those pancakes. This thread is making me want some for sure!

Respected Contributor

On 3/22/2015 tigriss said:
On 3/22/2015 debc said:

When I make waffles and pancakes for the week, I freeze them to heat in the toaster.They come out crunchy and great! Plus way cheaper that Eggos and frozen pancakes. I'm about to eat pancakes again this morning for a late breakfast/early dinner. Oh this thread!

I use a toaster oven but the same thing. Smiley Happy They taste a lot better as well, and you can dress them up anyway you want. Mostly I just want syrup, but fruit and whipped cream are a great treat.

~~
Respected Contributor

On 3/21/2015 Kachina624 said:Haven't you figured out that this forum is filled with food snobs? I often wonder how authentic their claims are. They eat nothing but GREEK yogurt, COCONUT oil, GRASS fed beef, EXTRA VIRGIN olive oil, ORGANIC everything, and on and on. There is a hysterically funny thread going where they try to outdo each other with exotic ingredients and cooking methods for making homemade popcorn (of all things). I'm sure anyone who mentioned eating plain old microwave popcorn would have been booed off with talk of chemicals and other dastardly ingredients.

Don't forget my bacon grease! LOL

~~